H&R Sportsmqn Single Action

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wonderwhippet, Mar 8, 2005.

1. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I have a top break 6" barrel H&R Sportsman which looks exactly like the Model 999 Sportsman, except it has a solid rib instead of a ventilated rib, and is single action where the 999 is double action. I can't find it in catalogued in any of my references. Does anyone out there have information on it?
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Closest thing I can find are on page 749 in the 25th Anniversary Edition of the Blue Book, listed under "Handguns: Pre-1942"

"SPORTSMAN NO. 199 - .22 LR cal., 9 shot, single action, 6 in. barrel, adj. target sights, break open, blue only, checkered walnut grips"

....and.....

"ULTRA SPORTSMAN - .22 LR cal., 9 shot, single action, 6 in. barrel, blue, break open, adj. sights, walnut grips, short cylinder action, wide hammer spur."

No mention of a barrel rib......

Those are the only single action, break open 22s that I see.
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the sportsman single action model 199 was introduced in the fall of 1932 along with the sportsmans double action model 999. the single action was the basis for two true target revolvers built by H&R the ultra sportsman and the eureka sportsman both manufactured in the very late 1930's and very early 1940's.

the model 199 single action sportsman was discontinued in 1942 along with most of h&rs handguns. it was put back into limited production on a special order basis about 1950 thru 1954.

the model 199 single action sportsman is serial numbered in its own series and between 1932 and about 1934/35 has a "S" letter code prefix while the model 999 double action carried a "D" prefix during this time. these letter codes are often mistaken for the letter code system h&r started using in 1940 but there is no relationship tetween the two.
    bill