H&R Starter Pistol (22cal) old model

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Ken Lynch, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Ken Lynch

Ken Lynch New Member

I am looking for pictures of the older models of the H&R 22 cal starter pistol. Specifically I am interested in the model predating the existing one. I recognize it by the pin release mechanisium location. Current models have the pin release as a button (pin) on the side of the frame which needs to be pushed to release the pin that holds the cylinder in place. The older models had the release on the front of the frame just below where the barrel met the frame. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

to find one of the H&R starter pistols that anve the cylinder release as you descrige you have to go back to the pre1953 era when the starter pistols were manufactured on the model 922 first model frames. the first H&R starter pistol were manufactured on the american double action frame in the 1940's and then some were manufactured on the model 1904 frame which is bassically the same as the model 922 frame. by 1952 all the frames from these early models had been used up and the current production of the model 922 was used for the model 960 and 970 starter revolvers by 1978 a frame was designed that could not be converted to fire regular ammo and the STR series was introduced in 1978. now of these have much in common with any H&R 1871/NEF (or the later one by marlin) starter pistols.

many of these early starter pistols have shown up on auction site. the first H&R catalog i know of that included a starter pistol was the 1940 issue. when looking for pictures i would first enter 'H&R starter revolver" in a search engine. buying catalog just to look for pictures of these revolvers could be expensive.
    bill
    bill
  3. Ken Lynch

Ken Lynch New Member

I had one which I used for training dogs. I liked the quality and reliability. Not sure which frame it was so was looking for pictures that might show differences. Also where does one go to get one of these older models?
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

these older model do show up on the online auctions and at gun shows sometimes and maybe local gunshops. your will just have to search until your find the one you like and at a price you like.
    bill
  5. Ken Lynch

Ken Lynch New Member

Forgot to ask. Was it standard for the starter/blank version of the 922 to have an attaching ring at the base of the grip? Or if present it was something added after market?
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

to the best of my knowledge the lanyard ring was not a factory option on the model 922 style starter revolvers. the model numbers for the two 922 based starter revolver were model 960 and 970.
    bill
  7. Kiawah

Kiawah New Member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

H&R used the S letter code in 1956
    bill
  9. Ken Lynch

Ken Lynch New Member

Kiawah, that is exactly what I am looking for, right down to the white grips. If anyone has one they are willing to sell please let me know. Thank you for the photos.
  10. glock master

glock master New Member

I have exactly wat u want I have a h&r 970 model
  11. toyota08

toyota08 New Member

is there any difference between the h&r 929 model and the starter pistol
  12. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

yes there are a few differences in the model 929 and the model 970/960 starter revolvers. the model 929 has a swing out cylinder and the starters revolver do not is the main difference and then your have the short cylinder and solid barrel of the starter revolvers
    bill
  13. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

[​IMG]

Here is an example of an older H&R .22 starter pistol.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

Glock Master....still have the pistol? If you do, please PM me at rlorenzen@charter.net

If by chance, anyone else might have access to one, PM me also.

Thanks, Rick