H&R survival rifle

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Civil War guy, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Civil War guy

Civil War guy New Member

Hi I am looking for a barrel locking screw for a Harrington & Richardson Mark 4 survival rifle. The rifle is 22 hornet cal, and is from the WWII-Korean war era. Any help is greatly appriciated.
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Try www.e-gunparts.com. That's the old Numrich company, and they have parts for just about anything.
  3. Civil War guy

Civil War guy New Member

I looked on there web site and did not see it on there list. I will try to call them tomarrow.
  4. Civil War guy

Civil War guy New Member

To my suprise they had one listed but they are sold out. Do you guys know of any other places to look?
  5. polishshooter

The GOOD news is that Numrich is usually the best place to find anything like that...

The BAD news is it's not uncommon for them to be "out of stock..."

HHhhhmmmm... Maybe Sarco...they are MOSTLY military, but they have wierd parts too...

Try www.sarcoinc.com

In the meantime, I'll see if I can dig up any other parts suppliers websites for you...you MAY just be on a "quest," which will mean many long and tiring :D trips to every gunshow you can find, bugging the parts guys...
  6. Green

Green New Member

1st post here. Howdy! I have been to Sarcos a couple of times.It's a small place to walk around but, they do have some neat stuff. I got a K98 stock (original) in pretty good shape,better than the one I had. You even get to pick the one you want. A good idea to check it out.
  7. polishshooter

Welcome, Green!

Just what is a "good ol boy" from "the South" in New Jersey for anyway? And doesn't New Jersey have really tough gun laws? I'm surprised Sarco sells "OTC."

I remember sending a couple of "extra" old small parts into Sarco YEARS ago with an order for some small .45 parts, and they sent me the parts I ordered for free with COD for just the postage, in exchange...I don't know if they buy old parts in small quantities anymore, but they did then, and if I remember right I thought it was a good deal. The only bad thing is no quotes over the phone. "Just send them to us and we'll tell you how much we'll pay you when we see them" seemed just a little wierd, but it worked, I was happy.

But that's kind of like Dixie Gun Works, I expected a MUCH larger place for some reason, BUT it's still all I expected...I could spend DAYS in there just looking at the guns...and the one time I needed a part for my flintlock action, the counter guy goes HHhmmm, I don't have the part, but....let me see that, and takes it to the back...and comes up with a NEW action mounted with a new flint! I'm like a little worried, I wasn't expecting to buy a whole ACTION, but he says "You're in luck, we just bought the very LAST actions available that were made specifically in Italy for that rifle like 20 years ago, and you can have it for $45 (!)"

AIM used to let you look at a bunch before you bought one over the counter , but now they only let you pick from 3, and charge you $10 to look at another 3... :mad:

Welcome again! (Even IF you are another damm MAUSER guy... :cool: ) :)
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  8. Green

Green New Member

Polishshooter, I am from Jersey originally. I transfered with my job down here 18 yrs. ago. Love it!One of the best moves I ever made. I would never move back up to that rat race again. I get lost going to my home town. I am a Mauser guy,Mosin(a Polish trainer .22 also), Enfield, and a host of others. I have to get another safe. Thanks for the welcome. There seems to be a lot of information here.
  9. Civil War guy

Civil War guy New Member

I just called Sarco and they did not have anything for the M4 rifle. I don't really know of anybody else that would have parts for this type of gun.
  10. Green

Green New Member

Civil War Guy, I am no expert on any of this stuff. Over the yrs. I have learned to take a grain of salt with everything.(or at least try) We all have to be somewhat content with the fact?,we know more than the average Joe. How much more,?. As long as we try to keep learning. That is what this forum is about. I am new here. I am here more to learn than contribute.( I will when I can though) I am surprised Sarco didn't have any info for you. They have been around a lo-o-o-ng time. There are also a lot learned guys on here. Try posting on another thread with the same question. Not everybody has the same interest.You might get lucky there.
  11. polishshooter

I hear you Green! I was born and raised in "upstate" New York, and while it's a GREAT place to have grown up and hunted and fished...20 YEARS ago...

...you wouldn't want to live there!

I've spent a lot of time traveling the South, and if there ever IS a "next move," it will probably be to Tennesee or Mississippi...although I'm pretty happy right now in the 'Hoosier," and we DO have LOTS of BIG whitetails here too...BESIDES "common sense" gun laws...and NO "Hillary" or "Schumer..."
  12. polishshooter

CWG, don't give up THAT easily! We've only just STARTED...

For example, the NEXT step would be....describe the part, or better yet, search the web and try to find a schematic for the rifle, that SHOWS how it fits...

MANY parts, screws etc, can be fabricated from other parts, ESPECIALLY screws! Since it's H&R we can assume at least it's a "normal" US machine thread, and not some "proprietary" or "Foriegn pitch...

SHORTENING screws is EASY, so the trick would be to find one that matches the threads, that's a little longer, and shorten it.

The only thing we don't know is the head, and if it's irregular or anything, so a picture or diagram would be nice,

Remember, there ain't NOTHING mechanical that can't be fixed...with a little (or a lot) of cash and/or Polish ingenuity... and I am a FANATIC for "fixing stuff" with more "ingenuity" than cash!:cool:
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  13. Civil War guy

Civil War guy New Member

The rifle is a Harrington & richardson survival rifle M4 in 22 hornet cal. It was desined to fit in a survival pack for a pilot. I think it was used in the Korean war. The M4 was replaced with the M6. The M6 has a wood stock so it would float, the M4 has a wire stock that allows it to be shot like a big pistol or like a rifle. The reason I am woried that I will not find a replacement is the US military destroyed most of the M4's. A few escaped and found there way into private hands.

I must admit I lost the screw while rabbit hunting. I have looked for it and have even brought a metal detector to the search all with no results.

There are 2 takedown screws on the rifle. The one for the barrel and one that holds the bolt in the reciever. The only difference between the two is the barrel screw has a two little studs sticking out of the sides to help grip the screw.

I really apriciate any and all help and will try to post pics ASAP
  14. polishshooter

Are both screws the same thread? That would be a great thing, just carry the other screw with you (DON'T lose IT!!!) all the time and hit as many hardware stores (old style little "hometown" ones are the BEST, if not try like a "Do-it-Best" or an ACE, I never have much luck finding the set screws and bolts I need for my guns at Home Depot or Lowes...) you can to see if you can match it. Better yet, take the bolt and find a NUT that will fit the existing screw, and carry THAT with you instead of the other screw...then all you need is the head size, and length, which you SHOULD be able to measure by sticking a smaller diameter rod or something in the hole, marking it then measuring it. You'd be surprised at just how many "odd" screws and bolts of all sizes are available at hardware stores, they MIGHT be able to get you one CLOSE and it will only cost a few cents.

If you have trouble matching the threads, then the only other option is drilling it out larger, and retapping it for a larger screw.

As a final resort, start stopping into machine shops...making a screw is not a big deal, and you might be able to get a custom one made for $20 or so. MAYBE. It's been a while since I had anything fabricated for me at a machine shop, but I remember when I did, it was a lot cheaper than I expected...
  15. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Any gunsmith with a lathe should be able to make one for you.
    BTW- doesn't the M4 have a 14" barrel? And how does that go over when hunting in California?
    Bill