H&R The American Double Action 32

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Adrian-S, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Adrian-S

Adrian-S New Member

I was researching some info on this revolver my grandfather passed down to me, and it led me to this site. Pretty cool to find others in a similar situation and the useful info shared.

Here are a few photos. The revolver has an octagon barrel with the following stamps:
    First octagon top left side of barrel
    H & R ARMS COMPANY
    WORCESTER, MASS, U.S.A.

Second octagon left side of barrel:
    32 S. & W. CTGE

The top of the gun has stamped in it:
    THE AMERICAN
    DOUBLE ACTION

The bottom of gun has stamped in the metal:

The trigger, guard, and hammer are blued.

The cylinder holds six rounds

I'm wondering what year it may have been produced, and if it's a good idea to have a gunsmith bring it up to shooting condition or just leave it as-is. When cocked, the cylinder has a slight left/right motion that can take place, so I'm assuming it's not safe. When pulling the trigger to cycle it to the next round, it doesn't seem to do that properly.

Thanks!!!

-adrian

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Adrian,
    Merry Christmas.

You have a 2nd Model THE AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION (1905-1941) chambered for the .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long. It was made to handle smokeless/Nitro powder loaded cartridges. If in a safe condition to shoot - it should be able to handle any modern, factory loaded cartridges.
    It has a fairly low serial number (s/n's have been observed over 700K) so we can guestimate that it is of 1906 - '07 vintage.
    Your piece is the "standard" configuration: 2 1/2" barrel, Nickel plate and molded, black hard rubber grip panels. Options are: Blued finish (scarce at that time), 4" or 6" barrels, Mother-of-pearl, checkered walnut or Ivory (very rare) grip panels. It was also standardly chambered for .38 S&W cartridge.
    Take it to a gunsmith - your gun is over 100 years old and may need some "adjustment" in order to be safe to shoot. Good luck and enjoy.
  3. Adrian-S

Adrian-S New Member

Jim, thanks for the info, much appreciated! I'll let you know how things go with the gunsmith.

-adrian
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Adrian,
    You're welcome - glad to help out.
    BTW VERY NICE PICS!
    thanks for thanking.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR.
  5. Adrian-S

Adrian-S New Member

Well, unfortunately the gunsmith didn't want to work on it, indicating difficulty in acquiring parts.

-adrian
  6. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Adrian, we work on H&R revolvers all the time. The problem is typically the lever spring, which we make in house.

Contact us using the Private Message feature of this forum or from our website WEBSITE LINK for quote and shipping instructions.