H&R "The American Double Action" observations:

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 45Auto, Feb 24, 2009.

1. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

if you can't post to the forum you can send the pictures to my e-mail
    goforth2@peoplepc.com

after i get them i will tell you what i can.
    bill
  2. candjhuntley

candjhuntley New Member

I sent you an email with pictures i have taken - i have not taken the grips off of the gun (scared to do it) to check serial number, but perhaps if you need it i can - please check your email and get back to me as i'm not sure where i can host pictures to upload them here.
    Chris
  3. candjhuntley

candjhuntley New Member

I just took the grips off - my serial number is 926 - i hope this helps if my pistol is the type you're looking for
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

yes this is the model and variation i am looking for thanks for the pictures and the serial number

bill
  5. traderquinn

traderquinn New Member

I have the three pin guard but has a different barrel drop as you can see in the photo here. What do you know about this configuration?[​IMG]
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the one picture i was able to see shows this to be a different model. it is a second model large frame auto-eject manufactured before 1898 either a 1th ,2nd or 3rd variation.

AUTOMATIC EJECTING SECOND MODEL (NEW FRAME TARGET LOGO GRIPS)
    (BLACK POWDER) ---------------------------------1890-1904
    New frame shape and new hard rubber grip panels with Target Logo, Auto-ejecting mechanism, Calibers 32 S&W, 6 shot cylinder capacity, 38 S&W caliber 5 shot cylinder capacity, nickel finish (blue optional), barrel lengths of 2½ (rare), 3¼ (standard), 4, 5 & 6 inches available, “IF THERE IS NO CALIBER MARKING ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BARREL THEN IT WAS MANUFACTURED FOR BLACK POWDER”
    Top of barrel markings include company name and address and patent dates.
    First Variation; one patent date OCT-4-87 only -------------1890-1892
    Second Variation one patent date marked OCT-4-1887 (year marked in full) ---1890-1892*
    Third Variation three patent dates, Oct-4-1887, May 14 & Aug-6-89 ---1893-Only*
    Fourth Variation three patent dates Oct-4-87, May-14 & Aug-6-89 (note 87 date des not have full year markings)--------1894-1896*
    Fifth Variation five patent dates Oct-4-87, May 14 & Aug-6-89, April-2-95, April-7-96-----------1897-1904*
    *Serial numbers found on the bottom side of the top strap will have letter codes with them.
    VALUE 100%=$225 60%=$85 For all Auto-Ejecting 2nd Models; add 75% premium for 2½” barrel; add 25% for 4”, 5” & 6” barrels; add 15% for blue finish; add 10% for 1st , 2nd, 3rd & 4th variations with nickel trigger guard on nickel finish pieces

bill
  7. bo_leggs

bo_leggs New Member

Okay, maybe you can help me, too. My pistol is nickel with blue trigger guard, octagonal barrel with H & R Arms Company, Worcester, Mass USA and 38 S&W CTGE on the left side of barrel. On the top strap it has Safety Hammer and Double Action. It has the two pin trigger guard and pull pin on the cylinder. Serial number 13**JJ on the butt. Hammer can only be cocked or put in safe position by engaging the trigger; the hammer is shaped like the contour of the frame. My pistol has a cracked cylinder that I would like to replace. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  8. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF.

Sorry to inform that expert Bill Goforth passed away early 2011.

Numrich lists .38 rimfire cylinders, but I doubt the large frame .38 was made in a rimfire, and might be a mistake:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...dson-33274/Revolvers-36449/American-38121.htm

You might also call their customer service as they may have a usable cylinder from a parts gun.
  9. bo_leggs

bo_leggs New Member

Yes, I'd read in another thread that Bill is now in that great shooting gallery on high.

I had seen the Numrich listing for the .38 rimfire. I appreciate you giving me someone to contact about it. I was hoping that there would be someone who could help. I also have what looks like an older H&R in .32 cal centerfire breakover. It has a round barrel with a rib on top for the sight Printing on the top of the rib says:
    Harrington & Richardson Arms Company
    Worcester, Mass. USA Pat Oct 4, 1887, May 14 & Aug 6, 89

This one is a double action only, with no safe position, and a 6 hole cylinder. I feel the ejector on this one should be replaced because of wear on the turning dogs. It came with a very old mixed box of .32 long centerfire and .32 long rimfire. If someone can point me to a thread for this one, I'd be most appreciative.

Never mind, I found my thread and also found that this one can't be shot with modern cartridges. Strictly black powder cartridges only from what the other thread says. Guess I could try some of the cartridges it "came" with. Ha Ha.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013