H&R top break trigger problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by djstew, Dec 30, 2011.

1. djstew

djstew New Member

I just aquired an H&R Top Break Premier Auto Eject .32 cal from my dad. I gave the pistol a good clean and lube. The trigger will not spring back to the firing position. There are 3 pins and one screw that look like they hold the trigger/hammer assy in place. Help!!!!!
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The trigger return spring is probably broken, a common problem with those guns.

Now here is the problem. In spite of the simple-looking mechanism, those guns are a bear to fix as a new spring can be obtained but will have to be hand fitted by trial and error. And they are darned difficult for anyone without experience to put back together. And then two or three other problems will crop up.

For a gunsmith, that means a lot of time and that means a lot of money, far more than the gun is worth. For that reason, few gunsmiths will work on those old timers.

Let me give you an instance. Those round head pins can be driven out. But to prevent battering them, a gunsmith would use cup-tip punches, and each size punch would be around $20. So two punches will be $40 or so, and the gun, unless in exceptionally good condition, will be worth only a few dollars more than that. I would say that unless you feel like tackling the job yourself, treasure the gun "as is" as a family possession and buy a more modern gun for shooting. But if you do decide to work on the gun, realize that it might well end up in a cigar box in pieces to be tossed out at some later date.

Jim
  3. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

OR, we can fix it for around $50 plus return shipping. That includes making/fitting the new spring and detail cleaning the rest of the gun.

You can contact us by using the Private Message feature of this forum - click on our user name on the left side of this post. Or, contact from our website HERE.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Frankly, I think that is a very good deal, and I will make note of your web site. Do you do any other work on those old timers, like replace/rebuild hands or ratchets, repair sear springs and hand springs, etc.? If so, you should have all the work you can handle along those lines. (And better you than me!)

Jim
  5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Yes to all the above.
  6. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I have repaired a great many H&R IJ H&A F&W and similar revolvers. From this vantage point I must agree that StoneChimney's price for this repair job is very reasonable.

The Stone Chimney website is interesting. It must be intersting to have a firearms manufacturing licence.
  7. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

I totally agree with 45Auto. These revolvers are a bear to work on. Most gunsmiths won't even consider working on these old-timers, and StoneChimney's estimate is very fair. By the way StoneChimney, do you work on the 1877 Colt lightnings/thunderers? (please don't smirk too long 45Auto, you warned me!) :eek::confused:
    Old Gun Guy
  8. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Yes we work on the 1877 and 1878 Colt double-action models. I even have some new parts for them.
  9. Jimboni

Jimboni New Member

I have to disagree a little bit. My H&R top break project (elsewhere on this forum) has shown the little .32 to be extremely easy to work on. A decent set of brass punches and a careful approach with the plastic hammer will have it apart without damaging the pins, and it goes back together about as easily as any gun I have ever worked on. All the new springs I put in (Wolff) took only minor fitting, and reassembly has been a breeze (despite initial confusion of how the trigger bits go together). EXCEPT for the trigger return spring!

I could not find a source for a proper return spring, so had to fabricate. The Wolf gunsmith kit provides adequate blanks for a few tries. The sizing/fitting of the return spring into the notch is easy. But, the shaping of the piece (the tab that rides the hammer "cam") is a real pain without the help of a knowledgeable smith/machinist. I will be reaching out to StoneChimney to finish this up. Very happy to see your post on this SC!
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Anyone working regularly on those old guns needs cup end punches that are made to fit the rounded pins. Even brass punches can flatten the pins on those guns and brass punches tend to bend.

Jim