H&R top break & Unknown Revolver Help

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CavBirdie, Sep 24, 2012.

1. CavBirdie

CavBirdie New Member

I have recently inharited some guns from my father. i have managed to identify all but 2 of the revolvers.

the easy one is a H&R Top Break, 6 shot, auto eject revolver. it has no cal markings on it at all. The top of the barrel says
    "HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS COMPANY
    WORCHESTER, MASS.U.S.A. PAT'D OCT.4.87.DEC.25.88."
    the only serial number i can find is 2259 under the pistol grips and the end of the breach lever.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

the second one is a 7 shot revolver i think .22. i can find no manufacturer markings on it at all except for the serial number 17453 under the pistol grips and on the cylander.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

i would apreciate any information i can get... ok the pics didnt show they are also in my albums
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  2. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

The pictures aren't showing so it's difficult to know anything about the ?.22..

The H&R top break will probably be a .32 S&W or a .38 S&W cartridge - probably for black powder cartridges.
  3. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to TFF.

Your 2nd gun looks like a Smith & Wesson Model No. 1, Second Issue in abused condition with the cylinder installed backwards.

(I'm not certain that's possible, but try reversing it)
  4. CavBirdie

CavBirdie New Member

i looked at it and if you try to reverse the cylinder it wont close or advance to the next shell
  5. hrf

hrf Active Member

Then it must be a copy of the S &W No. 1, as the cylinder stop notches are at the rear on a S&W. There were a couple of copies by other firms, but they also have the notches at rear.
  6. CavBirdie

CavBirdie New Member

and looking at the S&W the top of the second edition is more like how the first edition was made, but it has the second edition access to the inner workings... ty i now know alot more about it then i did
  7. hrf

hrf Active Member

Found it:

It's the Second Model Manhattan or American Standard Tool copy, distinguished by an extra set of cylinder notches to allow stopping of the cylinder between rounds.

And some are unmarked.
  8. CavBirdie

CavBirdie New Member

WOOO HOOO thank you for all your help i apreciate it :D
  9. BillM

BillM Active Member

The 22 is a Manhattan Arms/American Standard Tool revolver.

Picture of one here, scroll down a bit:

http://www.armchairgunshow.com/SWTU-info.html

Well POOP----beat to the post again by someone with faster fingers:D
    But I get extra points for pictures.
  10. hrf

hrf Active Member

You're probably using all your fingers (slows you down) :)
  11. CavBirdie

CavBirdie New Member

im trying to figure out the Model and the Varation... and a rage of dates for manufacture... i havent seen the dec 25 88 date listed anywhere, and i havent found a letter with the SN
  12. CavBirdie

CavBirdie New Member

ok i found this:
    AUTOMATIC EJECTING MODEL 1 1/2 (BLACK POWDER)
    - .32 S&W or .38 S&W cal., different double action mechanism, trigger, trigger guard and hammer, 5 (.38 S&W cal.) or 6 (.32 S&W cal.) shot, new frame, nickel or blue finish, hard rubber grips with target logo, 3 1/4 in. barrel, marked with two patent date 10-04-87 and 12-25-88 (only revolver to use this date), rare. Mfg. 1889-1890.

so i have a 1st model..ans some variation? or is it a 1 1/2 model with some variation?