H&R Top Break

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bembree, Jun 20, 2011.

1. bembree

bembree New Member

I have an H&R Top Break Revolver in 38 S&W. Been trying to find a replacement trigger spring for it. Have tried a few of the trigger springs on Numrich Gun Parts, but it hasn't been the right spring either time I've tried. Hoping to find out more about the gun in hopes of finding the correct part for it.

Top of the barrel has
    Harrington & Richardson Arms Co.
    Worchester, Massachusetts USA

Left side of the barrel has
    38 S&W CTGE

Serial Number is
    185568 (the serial is on the bottom of the grip, the bottom of the top strap, and inside the grip)

568 is stamped on the cylinder

The revolver is a 5 shot. Has no hammer. 3 inch barrel.
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

bembree,
    Welcome to the forum.
    You have a 2nd Model LARGE FRAME HAMMERLESS (smokeless powder capable) 5th Variation (circa 1916-1924.) The serial number is fairly high in the observed range so production of your piece is most likely late in the time period, 1922-23?

"Standard" offering for this model: 3 1/4" barrel; Nickel finish; molded, black hard rubber; caliber offerings: 6x.32 S&W Long or 5x.38 S&W (not .38 SPECIAL). Options offered: 4, 5 or 6 in barrels; blued finish (becomes more common in later production); checkered walnut or Mother-of-Pearl grip panels.

Looking at the Numrich/GPC site, they have a schematic available (under NEW MODEL LARGE FRAME HAMMERLESS) :
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=7947
    - but show the original trigger return spring as out of stock. Other folks have had problems with fitting the "non-original replacement" spring - is that one that you have tried.
    You might try:
    www.jackfirstgun.com

they seem to have a fairly good supply of parts. Good luck.

IMG_2147_2.jpg
  3. bembree

bembree New Member

I had tried the "non-original replacement" spring in that list. Actually ended up needing the flat spring instead of the wire spring. Just tried calling Jack First, they didn't have anything for it. But at the very least I now have more information on the gun then I did before. Thanks for the quick answer.
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member