1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

H&R Topper 58 questions

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by cajuntec, Jul 27, 2009.

1. cajuntec

cajuntec New Member

About to buy a H&R Topper 58 tomorrow. Serial number starts with "BA", and it's a .30-30. Can anyone tell me about this rifle? Year? Problems? Barrels available? (I checked Numrich - only shotgun barrels listed - I want .357 / .44 Mag).

Thanks in advance!
    All the best,
    Glenn
  2. cajuntec

cajuntec New Member

Anyone?

I have a couple hours left before I buy this gun this afternoon. I was really hoping for some insight before I gave him my money.

Thanks in advance,
    All the best,
    Glenn
  3. army mp

army mp Member

The only thing I can tell you, like most firearms, If you like it get it. The H&R are not or have never been a Collectors item. Many years ago my younger brother had one with the 20 Ga., and 3030-barrel. My book states they came with 3030, 22 jet, 22 hornet , 44 mag, and 357, My book is old so I will not give the values. But they were not much.
  4. cajuntec

cajuntec New Member

I've owned H&R singles before, but always shotguns - never the rifles. I have been trying to get my hands on a good deal on a Handi-Rifle so that I can swap out barrels and get the ones I want, but I've only had dealings with one, and it slipped through my fingers (guy changed his mind about selling it on the day we were supposed to finalize the deal as he no longer needed money). I realize they are not collectors items. I can buy them new for about $300 or so, depending on the caliber, etc... But I am looking for a "utility gun" - something that shoots well, but doesn't hurt my wallet and something that won't make me cringe if it gets scratched up a bit. H&R's seem to fit that bill. But I've never owned a model 58 before - just current model Pardner shotguns and an Ultra Slug Hunter 20 gauge.

I've read up on the barrels - same as the ones you listed, and that is why I was interested in buying it. But H&R / NEF's website only lists "H and N" prefixes built after 1987 that are eligible for the barrel accessory program, and I haven't found any other place that sells barrels for the model I'm about to buy today.

As for the price - I negotiated a slight price drop with him - he's agreed to sell it to me for $150, and will include two boxes of ammunition. I didn't think that was a bad price to pay for a single shot rifle + 40 rounds of ammo. About half of what a new one costs. What do you think?

All the best,
    Glenn
  5. cajuntec

cajuntec New Member

Well, I got ahold of H&R today. Kind of short with me. 1984 manufacturer - no barrels available. "I'd be suprised if you can find any barrels for that one". Can't help me further. End of conversation. Wasn't what I was hoping for, but I guess I have my answer now.

All the best,
    Glenn
  6. army mp

army mp Member

Other than Gun shows and Numrich, I know Numrich you need to call them from Time to time, they get new parts in all the time. , The one my brother had 30 years age the fore arm lug broke on it, I don’t know if this was a problem on them or not. He had a gun smith brass it back on, but It did not last. Like I said, I have paid to much for guns, And got some pretty good deals on others. To me and by no means am I an expert. It sounds like a good deal . The price of factory ammo, You may as well say he is giving you $40.00 depending on what it is.
  7. cajuntec

cajuntec New Member

Thanks army mp. I appreciate the replies. Good point on the price of factory ammo - basically, I'm getting the gun for $110. Can't pass that up. Heck, most shotguns, including single shots, cost more. I'll call Numrich.
    All the best,
    Glenn
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

cajuntec,
    sorry i did not get your private message or see this post until this morning. the price is good and barrels are out there just have to look for them. since H&R originally shutdown in 1986 and the present comapny is actually has gone through several new owners since then i am not at all surprised at the information they gavee you. H&R 1871/NEF and all the other owners have not supported any of the pre1986 firearms in any way. numrich arms purchased 90% of inventory of parts and work in progress in 1987 but even their supply is getting thin.
    bill
  9. cajuntec

cajuntec New Member

Bill,
    Thank you very much. I appreciate the return PM's and all the info. When I googled H&R model 58, several of your posts on this site came up, helping people out. That was my main reason for signing up here - I wanted to contact you about this weapon. In the process, I found a very nice site that I hope to contribute to, along with "army mp", who was very helpful.
    All the best,
    Glenn
  10. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

thank you!
    bill
  11. cajuntec

cajuntec New Member

Well, I bought her home. Nice little gun, and I do mean "little". She's a short sucker, but should be at home in a blind and tight spots. The previous owner changed the stock and forearm to brand new black synthetic ones. They look nice. No rust, but the finish on the receiver is VERY light - the nice patina that most H&R's have looks very thin. I'm thinking about using it as a test gun to try out some new finishes. I also need to put a scope on it one day. Anyone ever put a red-dot scope on a gun like this for close in shooting? Or is that a bad idea? I've never owned a red dot scope - just looking around and getting ideas.

All the best,
    Glenn
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

cajuntec, I have several of the newer H&R handi rifles that you can change barrels on. I had to send the action to H&R for them to "fit" the barrel to the action. I have an old H&R Topper's but it is a 12 Gauge shotgun, not a rifle.

I know from their website that they will not put a rifle barrel on their shotgun actions because they cannot stand up the pressure that rifle cartridges put on it.

I know you already have your answers but I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth!!
  13. cajuntec

cajuntec New Member

Thanks gdmoody. I appreciate the response.
    All the best,
    Glenn