H&R Topper Model 58

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by yoda2nd, May 5, 2009.

1. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Auburn Alum,
    Welcome to the forum. Always good to see new members with questions.
    If you look at the left side of the receiver, you will see, just below the manufacturer's name/address block, and just before the patent #, the two letters 'AD' - that indicates manufacture in 1967. During this time period - H&R seems to have not stamped a serial number on most of their long guns (shotguns and rifles) for what ever reason and also because a serial number was not required, by law, until the GCA of 1968. Long guns were serial numbered from the inception of the s.b. shotguns circa 1900 and the initial production of commercial rifles shortly after the end of WW2, up to some point in the late 1950s early 1960s. I'm not sure when they stopped serials on the long guns, haven't studied that, as yet. Handguns were ALWAYS factory serialed from the 1870s thru the Feb. 1986 close of operations.
  2. AuburnAlum15

AuburnAlum15 New Member

Thanks Jim!

Am I reading the information on this thread correctly that there are interchangeable barrels for this model to use it as a 20 ga shotgun? That would be news to me as I did not know this gun could do that.

Also, you seem to have an ample amount of knowledge on these guns. For curiosity sake, what would you say my gun is worth? (Pictured in the above post)

Thanks again!
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

AuburnAlum,
    The Model 158 was originally issued as either a stand alone single barrel shotgun or as a COMBO set with a shotgun barrel and a factory fitted barrel chambered for one of the lower pressure rifle cartridges (.22 Hornet, .22 Win. Mag., .30-30 Win., .22 Rem. Jet) There was also a 4 barrel set with .20 ga, .410 bore, .30-30 and .22 Rem. Jet. Other combinations were also offered. Your topper originally came as a set with a shotgun barrel and the rifle barrel. Your piece, made in 1967 may have come from a 4 in 1 Combo set (see above) or as a 20 ga. with .30-30 set. There's no way of knowing at this time.
    In what appears, from the picture, to be at least very good condition - your gun in .30-30 currently will retail somewhere between $185 and $225. I've seen them sell in that range. If you had the other shotgun barrel, it would add about $50 to the set value.
    NOTE: the multi-barrel sets were factory fitted, i.e. the rifle barrels were fitted to the shotgun receiver - all the chamberings for rifle cartridges were fairly low pressure rounds because of the limitations of the shotgun receiver. H&R made stand alone rifle receivers that were a bit more robustly made to handle the higher pressure rifle cartridges.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  4. AuburnAlum15

AuburnAlum15 New Member

Thanks again Jim!

You have been VERY helpful. I'm guessing that since these barrels were factory fitted, there's no way I can purchase a 20ga barrel for my gun right?
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Auburn,
    Quite often used H&R barrels show up for sale at gun shows but, from my experience predominantly on the gun auction sites on-line.
    Your problem will be finding one that is of the correct configuration with respect to fore stock attachment. Your 158 has a "snap on" fore stock - with a notched stud brazed to the barrel - you will need to find a shot-gun barrel with the same notched stud in the same place. Later on, H&R switched to a threaded stud and bolt to hold the fore stock in place - and in fact the barrels made even later (after 2000) have the stud in a slightly different location on the barrel and used a different thread pitch - so Marlin made barrels will not fit on either the original H&R Inc. (pre 1986) nor the later NEF and/or H&R 1871 receivers (1987 - 1999). I just checked Numrich - they are sold out of the proper barrels. If you buy one through the internet auction sites - make sure it has the notched stud on the barrel.
  6. AuburnAlum15

AuburnAlum15 New Member

Great! Thanks again for all your help Jim! I'll keep an eye out on the internet and see what comes available. If you run across anyone who has the right barrel for sale, please keep me in mind.
  7. h&r owner

h&r owner New Member

i have a H&r model 58 and the top of the barrel says topper model 58 20 ga. 3'' mod. and then it has a p with a circle around it, and the serial number is am361740 and i need to know what kind of shot gun shells i can use, i bought shells and the box says they can be used with guns that are, ic/m/or f then it says lead shot sizes are 4,5,and 6.

these are for rabbit and squirrel which is the last box on the bottom, and then the line above it is for rabbit and squirrel and it can be used with ic/m and lead shot sizes are 4,5,6,and 7and a half and i was wondering if these shells are ok to shoot out of my gun, if you could answer me, that would be very great, thank you