H&R Topper

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by mranum, Mar 10, 2012.

1. mranum

mranum Member

H&R/New England made the combo handi rifle packages with interchangeable barrels.

Question is this, I have a H&R Topper JR. 490 in a .410. Is it possible to get a rifle barrel to fit this gun?

Anyway to date this gun? Serial number AU40XXXX.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Gentleman Jim Hauff is the H&R man, but I will give you my input. No, Your Topper is a shotgun built on a light shotgun frame, The Handi gun is a rifle that will take a combo mix of Rifle an shotgun barrels. It is built on a stronger and heavier " rifle " receiver. The barrels built for the Handi ,will not fit on your Topper frame. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me:)
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

RJay - hit that one out of the park.
    The Model 490 was the shortened and light weight YOUTH model and was equipped with .410 or 20 ga. from factory. You might fit a rifle barrel to the frame - but it would at best be a gamble to shoot. The single shot rifles are so inexpensive today, the gamble IMHO would be a sucker bet.
  4. mranum

mranum Member

Kinda what I thought but just checking anyway.
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

It NEVER hurts to check - and, guess what - the experts aren't ALWAYS right. LOL!
  6. gregdeerberg

gregdeerberg New Member

I have an old Harrington and Richardson .410 topper 88 that the transfer bar is broke on. My son has a New England Pardner .410 that has a shorter barrel with the sight ball broke off. Can I swap the barrels out. I have already done it and shot it once I was just wanting to make sure it will be safe. Also both barrels are 3" full choke and was wondering about shooting slugs through it. Thanks