H&R Trapper Model

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by clipperbet, Dec 6, 2011.

1. clipperbet

clipperbet New Member

I am looking for a place to purchase a spring for the Trapper Model. I receive the gun from my Grandfather who carried it while trucking in the 30's and 40's. I took it to a gun shop and she said he could not make the spring. Anyone know where I can buy one?
    It says Rimfire and Trapper Model on the hex barrel. Also thru some searching some people say the have a S/N on it. Where is the s/n stamped on the gun?
    Thanks, for any help I can get.
  2. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

The serial # is found on the frame under the grips. It might be on the outside flat of the butt frame. A replacement spring can be found at numrich gun parts corp. I noticed that the Trapper mainsprings are sold out, but it should be possible to make one from an old model small frame top brake mainspring, which numrich appears to still have in stock.
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

The Trapper Model was derived from the Model 1906 - and all parts interchange.
    You don't specify which spring you need, so here's a "blown-up" parts diagram and a link to Numrich/GPC that 45 AUTO mentioned.

IMG_5084.jpg

IMG_5085_2.jpg

You might also try:
    www.jackfirstgun.com
    www.wisnersinc.com
    www.schludershots.com

All of these folks have obsolete gun parts, including many H&R parts.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  4. clipperbet

clipperbet New Member

Thank you both, I am not a gunsmith, but will take the pistol apart and take a look at what is broken. (know a good gunsmith?)
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

clipperbet,
    You're welcome - good luck!
    NOTE: the prices on that part list date back to the 1930s - so - don't expect them to be valid today. LOL!
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  6. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

We can certainly make and fit the spring (whichever spring you are referring to).
  7. Ken W

Ken W Member

Yeah, if only things were still affordable like that.
  8. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Hello!
    I am currently working on a H&R Trapper revolver, and the center pin catch is not the same as shown in the parts diagram. The part # 8R shows a catch that takes a coil spring, but the one I'm working on takes a flat spring. I have the coil spring catch, but it won't work with my Trapper because of the very narrow slot that the center pin catch fits into. That's why I am asking for the correct catch on the WTB forum.
    Old Gun Guy
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Old Gun,
    You can't see it in my parts pic - but it is stated that the parts for the Trapper also fit the Model 922 - SO - here's a link for the cylinder pin catch spring for the old, flat main spring 922 which should fit yours:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=1378680&catid=7923

Maybe you want to call Numrich and ask the tech to describe that spring to you. There's no pic of it in the on-line parts list.
  10. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Jim,
    The center pin catch that takes the flat spring is not the same catch as the coil spring center catch. I have the springs from Wolff to fit either one, but the catches are noticeably different. I tried to make a slot to fit a flat spring in the coil spring catch, but it was a no-go.
    Old Gun Guy
  11. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

I'm not going to take one of my Trappers apart to see but a good source for coil springs about 1/16" diameter is cigarette lighters. The spring that pushes the flint up is about an inch long. At least a couple different diameters depending on lighter maker. Cut spring to length. I find many uses for them and can pick up a couple of discarded lighters any day on my morning walk.
  12. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Old Gun,
    You're above my smithing levels - seems to me rhmc24, who has several centuries of experience :rolleyes: - has a simple solution for you - go buy a dozen or so different brands of disposable lighters and you'll have a fine collection of springs.
  13. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

I guess you missed my point. The center pin catch that utilizes a coil spring is not the same design as the correct one that takes the flat spring. I have many small springs that I use to repair these catches, but when a coil spring is inserted in the wrong catch, it is not retained, but flies off because the catch opens way too far. It's alright as long as the center pin is not withdrawn. I believe I can make the correct catch with a dremel tool.
    Thanks for your inputs.
    Old Gun Guy
  14. clipperbet

clipperbet New Member

part I need is 106R. It is missing. This spring pushes the trigger forward after pulling trigger, chamber rotates but trigger will not reset. do you sell this part? Where can I get one.
  15. clipperbet

clipperbet New Member

part I need is 106R. It is missing. This spring pushes the trigger forward after pulling trigger, chamber rotates but trigger will not reset. do you sell this part? Where can I get one.
    I can't believe the parts list pricing is wrong! HA HA