H&R Young America .22 Double Action

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by erbiemoak, Apr 27, 2008.

1. erbiemoak

erbiemoak New Member

I have an H&R Young America Double Action 7-shot .22 cal revolver that my Dad used as his "snake gun" when we went fishing in the late 40's. It's a small, solid frame gun, with rifled octogon barrel that is 1-1/2' long outside the frame. It has matching serial numbers on the butt and under the left grip. Serial # 493924. YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION is on top of the frame. H&R ARMS COMPANY WORCHESTER, MASS. U.S.A. on the left top face of the barrel, and 22 RIM FIRE on the left face of the barrel.

It's not pretty - my Dad just carried it in his pocket to kill water moccasins or rattle snakes we came across while wading the bayous and backwaters of Louisiana in search of bass. It's scratched, has a few rust spots, and the right grip is broken, but it works well.

Can anyone tell when it was manufactured from the serial number, and does anyone have any idea of the desirability (or lack) as a collectible and the potential value?

I can post a picture if it would help.

Thanks
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the "H&R Young America" revolver was introduced in about 1890 and remained in production until 1942. in the first model the were several serial number series so the total actually manufactured is unknown. starting in 1905 with the introduction of the second model the serial numbers were one continous series going to over 500000. your revolver serial number 493924 is a very late production second model, most likely about 1939 or so. the highest serial number i have recorded for the young america model is 505168 and it also is a 7 shot 22 rimfire model.
    bill
  3. erbiemoak

erbiemoak New Member

Thanks for the reply, Bill. It was helpful.

Looking at books with gun values, it doesn't seem to be worth much (maybe $75), esp. in its shape. Guess I'll just keep it for snakes or whatever.

Thanks again.
  4. ibuddah

ibuddah New Member

I have an H&R Young America Double Action 7-shot .22 cal revolver with a rifled octogon barrel that is 1-1/2' long outside the frame.
    Need to know value please.
    Picts included
    thanks so much.

Attached Files:

5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this appears to be a first model (no caliber markings on the left side of the barrel) but here is information on both models.

YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL
    (BLACK POWDER) -----------------------------1884-1904
    pull pin cylinder release, nickel finish standard, blue considered rare, marking on top strap only “YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION” or “YOUNG AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION” two frame sizes
    SMALL SOLID FRAME .22 RIMFIRE 7 SHOT, octagon barrel, lengths of 2, 4½ and 6 inches
    MEDIUM FRAME .32 S&W CALIBER 5 SHOT, octagon barrel, lengths of 2, 4½ and 6 inches
    First Variation will have a round barrel & nickel trigger guard----------------------1884-1887
    Second Variation will have a octagon barrel & nickel trigger guard----------------------1888-1897
    Third Variation will have a octagon barrel , blue trigger guard and company name and address on left side of barrel -----------1897-1904
    VALUE: First Variation 100%=$275 60%=$100 Others 100%=$225 60%=$65
    For all Young America Double Action variations and variants add 15% premium for blue finish and 10% premium for 4½” or 6” barrels.

YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION SECOND MODEL SMALL FRAME
    22 RIMFIRE CALIBER--------------------------------1905-1941
    .22 short rimfire 7 shot, pull pin cylinder release Nickel finish, blue optional 2, 4½ & 6 inches barrel lengths, will have caliber and company name & address marked on side of barrel, Top strap will be marked “YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION” or “YOUNG AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION”
    After 1930 listed in catalogs as; YOUNG AMERICA No. 70 DOUBLE ACTION
    VALUE: 100%=$235 60%=$65
    For all Young America Double Action variations and variants add 15% premium for blue finish and 10% premium for 4½” or 6” barrels.

only the second model is suitable for smokeless powder ammo.
    bill
  6. Murgia22

Murgia22 New Member

I was wondering if there is any way of identifying this handgun when it doesn't have a serial number. Mine looks exactly like the one in the picture. It is engraved Young America, but there is no serial number.
    Thanks,Ralph
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Murgia22,
    H&R stamped either a serial number on post 1904 or a assembly/batch number pre 1905 on all of the handguns that I've seen. Guns made before sometime around 1905 will have the serial number stamped into the left side of the grip frame, under the left grip panel.

IMG_1041.jpg
  8. Murgia22

Murgia22 New Member

Thanks, Jim,
    I'll remove the grip when I get home to take a look!
    Ralph
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Ralph,
    Let us know what you find, if anywhere - it should be there.
  10. Murgia22

Murgia22 New Member

I should've mentioned, other than the grip, mine looks the same. I have a nice old wooden grip. I took it off last night and can't find any numbers anywhere. It is octagonal barrel, stamped .22 Rim Fire and Young America Double Action, H&R Worcester, etc. Also, the pin under the barrel is brass with an ivory tip.

Attached Files:

11. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Looks like end of the butt frame has been cut off, thus removing the serial number. The grips and cylinder pin are of course not original.
  12. Murgia22

Murgia22 New Member

I guess if that's the case, my $100 gun just went down to a $25 gun? I was intrigued by the cylinder pin being brass with the ivory tip though. When I was looking at the butt without the grips, I didn't see any signs that it was cut. If it was though, it was a long time ago because all the markings are wear are very consistent. Thanks.
  13. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

IMHO, hrf is correct - looks like the section of the frame that would have had the s/n was cut off. That's the bad news. The good news is: I'm about 95% sure that your gun is a genuine antique made before Jan.1 1899 based upon the nickel plated trigger guard and the shape of the recoil shield. So, I'm pretty sure it does not run afoul of the NFA and GCA concerning obliterating or defacing or removing serial numbers.
    Any other thoughts?
  14. Murgia22

Murgia22 New Member

Thanks Jim,
    What do you think the approximate value is? I'm not very concerned, because I did only pay $50 for it. The replacement grips are older and I did like the brass and ivory pin. Its my first "older" gun, so I was just happy with the purchase.
  15. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Murgia22,
    I'm sure you got your money's worth - no collector value with the mods. - but if it shoots and you're happy with it, it's worth every bit of $50.
    One note of caution: I would advise against shooting anything other than subsonic or standard velocity loads in that gun - it has seen better days and modern .22lr ammo is a lot hotter, in many loadings, than the stuff available when that gun was made. Good luck.
    BTW - collecting older guns becomes an illness that has no cure and results in large quantities of firearms piling up in you home.