H&R YOUNG AMERICA 22 DOUBLE ACTION

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by thunderace, Jul 13, 2009.

1. thunderace

thunderace New Member

HI,CAN SOMEONE TELL ME BY A SERIAL NO.CUTOFF OR OTHER MEANS TO DETRRMINE A ANTIQUE 1898 OR BEFORE MANUFACTURE OF THIS REVOLVER MODEL FROM H&R.I THINK THEY WERE MADE TO 1941 . THANNKS, RICK
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the serial numbers on this model were in batches of usually 1 to 99,999 until 1905, several different batches between 1884 and 1904. after 1905 new series statred that went fro 01 to over 500,000. the best method of determining a pre 1898 model is the finish of the trigger guard and the markngs on the left side of the barrel.

YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL
    (BLACK POWDER) ------------------------------------1884-1904
    pull pin cylinder release, nickel finish standard, blue considered rare, marking on top strap only “YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION” or “YOUNG AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION” two frame sizes;
    SMALL SOLID FRAME .22 RIMFIRE 7 SHOT, octagon barrel, lengths of 2, 4½ and 6 inches
    MEDIUM FRAME .32 S&W CALIBER 5 SHOT, octagon barrel, lengths of 2, 4½ and 6 inches
    First Variation will have a round barrel & nickel trigger guard--1884-1887
    Second Variation will have a octagon barrel & nickel trigger guard--1888-1897
    Third Variation will have a octagon barrel , blue trigger guard and company name and address on left side of barrel--1897-1904
    VALUE: First Variation 100%=$275 60%=$100 Others 100%=$225 60%=$65
    For all Young America Double Action variations and variants add 15% premium for blue finish and 10% premium for 4½” or 6” barrels.
    first models do not have the caliber marked on the left side of the barrel.

YOUNG AMERICA SAFETY HAMMER FIRST MODEL
    spurless hammer variation of Young American First Model-------1888-1904
    VALUE: $235 $75

YOUNG AMERICA BULLDOG FIRST MODEL MEDIUM FRAME
    ONLY .32 SHORT RIMFIRE 5 SHOT ONLY------------------1888-1904
    VALUE: $235 $75

YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION SECOND MODEL SMALL FRAME 22 RIMFIRE CALIBER--1905-1941
    .22 short rimfire 7 shot, pull pin cylinder release Nickel finish, blue optional 2, 4½ & 6 inches barrel lengths, will have caliber and company name & address marked on side of barrel, Top strap will be marked “YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION” or “YOUNG AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION”. After 1930 listed in catalogs as; YOUNG AMERICA No. 70 DOUBLE ACTION
    VALUE: 100%=$235 60%=$65
    For all Young America Double Action variations and variants add 15% premium for blue finish and 10% premium for 4½” or 6” barrels.

YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION SECOND MODEL MEDIUM FRAME .32 S&W CALIBER-- 1905-1941
    5 shot cylinder capacity, pull pin cylinder release, Nickel finish, blue optional 2, 4½ & 6 inch barrel lengths, will have caliber and company name & address marked on side of barrel, Top strap will be marked “YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION” or “YOUNG AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION”
    After 1930 listed in catalogs as; YOUNG AMERICA No. 73 DOUBLE ACTION .32 Rimfire short 5 shot and YOUNG AMERICA No. 74 DOUBLE ACTION .32 S&W 5 shot
    VALUE: 100%=$225 60%=$65
    all second models will have the caliber marked on the left side of the barrel

bill
  3. thunderace

thunderace New Member

Bill, Thank you for the Info.I will be getting a copy of your new H&R book when it comes available..I have another question of a aprox value of another pistol that I have come across.It is a 32 rimfire 5 shot in 32 long. spur trigger looks similar to a IJ defender, but has a circular srew down sideplate for access to the internals.On top strap it reads Excelsior pat 1876 . gun is in good working order but old nickle is worn away and has turned to a brown patina with slight traces of nickle showing through.I did some research and found it was made by Norwich pistol company that closed its doors in 1881.The most unusual thing about it is the bore at the muzzel face looks hex shaped instead of round inside If you can give me any info.I would be greatful. Thanks, Rick
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the "excelisor" was manufactured by norwich pistol co. and after that norwich falls pistol co. both of these companies were basically the same company just reorganized. they made revolvers based on the Bliss patent that included the round side plate. the last date i have for norwich falles is about 1887. however some one was still making these revolver with the round side plate as late as 1907 (i have one catalog of that date that show a "liberty" marked revolver with the round side plate).

most of the revolver manufactured by norwich/norwich falls are really smooth bored with the last 1/2 inch having 5 or 6 grooves cut into them to give the appearence of rifling.

value wise the name brand single action spur trigger revolvers seem to have a very wide range from about $40 poor condition to about $300 like new in the box. they are considered collectible but not many collectors specialize in them. one in the condition you describe is probably going to be valued about $150/$175.
    bill
  5. thunderace

thunderace New Member

BILL, THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE PISTOL ,I DID RE CHECK THE BORE AND IT IS RIFLED ALL THE WAY THROUGH, ALTHOUGH IT IS NOT STRONG. THANKS ,RICK
  6. heyyou

heyyou New Member

I have a 22 rim fire double action young america. Nickle plated with a 2 inch barrel. Every thing works fine on it, but I need a cylinder for it . any ideas.
  7. andrew

andrew New Member

I have a 22 rim fire double action young america. Nickle plated with a 2 inch barrel. Every thing works fine on it, but I need a cylinder for it . any ideas.