H&R Young America .32 Revolver How old?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by General111, Nov 28, 2012.

1. General111

General111 New Member

I have an H&R Young America .32 Revolver that belonged to my grandfather. I would like to know when it was made and an approximate value.

The S/N is 6096, the barrel is octagon-shaped, everything is nickel-plated except for the hammer which is blued. The only markings on it are the words "Young America" and "Double Action" above the cylinder.
    Thank you.
    Robert Lee
    Florence, SC
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Can you post good pictures? I am not sure from that information which model you have, but that name was used from 1884 to 1941; ones made after about 1909 would be suitable for smokeless powder. Maybe someone else can give you a more exact date.

There is a mild collector interest in those guns, but value depends almost entirely on condition. Top value, in "as new" condition will run around $250; in average condtion around half that. Chipped or peeling plating, rust, refinishing, missing or broken parts will reduce the value significantly.

Jim
  3. General111

General111 New Member

Thank you Jim; I'll take a few pics and send them.
    Bob
  4. General111

General111 New Member

Hello Jim,
    I must appologize for taking so long to reply. Attached are 4 photos of my H&R Young America. Note the only words are "Young America" and "Double Action". Also, everything is nickel plated with the exception of the hammer which is blued. Again, it's a .32 caliber with the s/n 6096.

The nickel is in much better condition than the photos would imply. It is pretty much like new with the exception of a few places where it is chipped.

I am more interested in the year it was made than the value.
    Thank you again,
    Bob Lee

Attached Files:

5. General111

General111 New Member

Per your request I posted a few photos of my H&R Young America last week. I'm new to this forum; did I post them correctly? I haven't heard from you.
    Bob Lee
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Here's a breakdown posted by the late H&R and Iver Johnson expert Bill Goforth in 2009:

YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL
    (BLACK POWDER) -----------------1884-1904
    pull pin cylinder release, nickel finish standard, blue considered rare, marking on top strap only “YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION” or “YOUNG AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION” two frame sizes: SMALL SOLID FRAME .22 RIMFIRE 7 SHOT, octagon barrel, lengths of 2, 4½ and 6 inches, MEDIUM FRAME .32 S&W CALIBER 5 SHOT, octagon barrel, lengths of 2, 4½ and 6 inches
    First Variation will have a round barrel & nickel trigger guard-----------1884-1887
    Second Variation will have a octagon barrel & nickel trigger guard-----1888-1897
    Third Variation will have a octagon barrel , blue trigger guard and company name and address on left side of barrel--------------1897-1904

This would date your example with nickel trigger guard to 1888-1897.
  7. General111

General111 New Member

Thank you, I appreciate your help.
  8. oldfox

oldfox New Member

I inherited one of these from my Uncle John. It is pretty rusty and only works sinle action now. S/N 49312. Any idea of the year or manufacture and the value in NRA good condition?

Thanks, Terry