1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

H&R Young America .32 S&W

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by marcodelat, Mar 22, 2009.

1. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

This little revolver is in good working order. Lockup is solid and timing is fine.

From what reading I have done on these, I believe that this piece is manufactured as a "smokeless powder" firearm; however, I do wonder what an "acceptable" modern round (if there is one available) to fire in this firearm would be.

Although it is "retired" it seems to be quite operational and safe and I would someday like to put a few rounds through it.

Apparently, it has not been fired much as the bore looks very clean and "crisp".

The grips are in great shape with no cracks or chips - the nickel is in good condition overall.

Serial number on the butt (and also under the left grip) is 501664

I am wondering what the approximate date of manufacture would be and also what it's approximate value could be.

Thanks... Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a late production medium frame young america revolver the cartridge and caliber is 32 S&W which is still loaded by several ammo manufacturers. there are no factory serial number records on this model but i would guess it is form the 1930's.

YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION SECOND MODEL MEDIUM FRAME .32 S&W CALIBER- 1905-1941
    5 shot cylinder capacity, pull pin cylinder release, Nickel finish, blue optional 2, 4½ & 6 inch barrel lengths, will have caliber and company name &
    address marked on side of barrel, Top strap will be marked “YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION” or “YOUNG AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION”
    After 1930 listed in catalogs as; YOUNG AMERICA No. 73 DOUBLE ACTION .32 Rimfire short 5 shot & YOUNG AMERICA No. 74 DOUBLE ACTION .32 S&W 5 shot
    VALUE: 100%=$225 60%=$65
    For all Young America Double Action variations and variants add 15% premium for blue finish and 10% premium for 4½” or 6” barrels.

bill
  3. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

Thank you bill,

Yes, I know that .32 S&W is still manufactured.

Given the choice, which these two would you choose?

Ammo Direct - Lead Flat Point Round Nose - 78 grain

Magtech - Lead Round Nose - 85 grain

I would like the lightest load, but not sure about the "flat point" would be best for this revolver.

I'll be looking forward to getting a copy of your H&R book.

I am just beginning to develop an interest in these revolvers. Have only 3 right now

Thanks again - marco
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

since this is a very small and lightweight revolver i would think the lighter the load the better. if you have the proper barrel cylinder alignment the flat nose bullet should not be a problem. just be sure and have a good hold on it when you fire because even the 32 S&W round is going to have strong recoil in this revolver.

iver johnson once made a 22 short revolver so small it was hard to hold on to during firing and even the recoil from the 22 short was painful.
    bill
  5. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

Thanks again bill...

- don't plan on firing it but once... load four rounds and let 'em off slow... just to "satisfy myself" that it indeed does function properly.

I'll be sure to "hold tight"...
  6. fngonuts

fngonuts New Member

Would a black powder version be worth more or less?
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL
    (BLACK POWDER) ------------------------------------1884-1904
    pull pin cylinder release, nickel finish standard, blue considered rare, marking on top strap only “YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION” or “YOUNG AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION” two frame sizes:
    SMALL SOLID FRAME .22 RIMFIRE 7 SHOT, octagon barrel, lengths of 2, 4½ and 6 inches
    MEDIUM FRAME .32 S&W CALIBER 5 SHOT, octagon barrel, lengths of 2, 4½ and 6 inches
    First Variation will have a round barrel & nickel trigger guard-------1884-1887
    Second Variation will have a octagon barrel & nickel trigger guard--1888-1897
    Third Variation will have a octagon barrel , blue trigger guard and company name and address on left side of barrel--1897-1904
    VALUE: First Variation 100%=$275 60%=$100
    Others variations 100%=$225 60%=$65
    For all Young America Double Action variations and variants add 15% premium for blue finish and 10% premium for 4½” or 6” barrels.

YOUNG AMERICA SAFETY HAMMER FIRST MODEL spurless hammer variation of Young American First Model-------------------------------1888-1904
    VALUE: $235 $75

YOUNG AMERICA BULLDOG FIRST MODEL MEDIUM FRAME.ONLY .32 SHORT RIMFIRE 5 SHOT ONLY--------------------------------1888-1904
    VALUE: $235 $75

bill
  8. fngonuts

fngonuts New Member

I have a third variation. Thanks Bill for the great info.

Kevin