H & R "Young America" revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by miguel, Jun 20, 2009.

1. miguel

miguel New Member

Hi.

I have a revolver my grandfather owned and am wondering if anyone can provide any additional details on it. (date of manufacture, etc.)

It is very small, with what appears to be a nickel finish. The weapon has a number of scratches, but is very shiny to the point I can make out my reflection in it. No bare spots on the frame, and the nickel seems to be solid even to the rim of the muzzle.

The left side of the barrel (octagonal) says, "H & R Arms Company" with "Worcester, Mass. U.S.A." below it. On the top, above where the cylinder is, it says, "Young America" with "Safety Hammer" below it. Kinda funny to me, since it is actually flat hammered! :)

Where the flat hammer area is, it says "Patented April 5, 1887" on the left side. This flat hammer part is a little dirty/worn. So is the trigger.

The grips are in beautiful condition. When I took them off, the serial number 7968 is stamped on the left side, near the bottom of the frame. Also interesting to me is that this number appears to be marked/inscribed on the inside of each of the grips. (left and right)

The cylinder has obviously seen some action, it's dirty on the inside, while the exterior is scratched but shiny like the frame. Again, I can make out my reflection in it. The cylinder is a 5-rounder. Assuming this is a .32, based on the seven rounds of ammo that were in the old sock the gun came to me in. These rounds appear to be centerfire, rather than rimfire. Can't say the age or origin of the ammo, but it says "WESTERN .32 S.&W." around the end of the cases. (circling the primer) Not sure if this is smokeless, blackpowder or what.

Gramps didn't clean the bore before he put it away for the last time, that's for sure. Didn't notice any rust, but there is some build up and fouling in there. I plan on getting a .32 brush and running some Hoppes #9 through it to see what's under it all. Barrel length is about half the size of my thumb. Front site is in place and shiny.

My grandfather passed when I was still very young and nothing would please me more than to take it out and throw a few rounds down range, but I am not sure if I can/should use this old ammo or if new cartridges would be a good idea either. I'd rather have it the way it is and long to plink with it than actually plink with it and have it kaboom on me, if ya' know what I mean!

Any comments or info you might have on this item are warmly appreciated.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the lack of caliber marking on the left side of the barrel indicate this is a first third variation 1897-1904. go ahead and clean it up but do not fire it.

YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL
    (BLACK POWDER) -----------------1884-1904
    pull pin cylinder release, nickel finish standard, blue considered rare, marking on top strap only “YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION” or “YOUNG AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION” two frame sizes: SMALL SOLID FRAME .22 RIMFIRE 7 SHOT, octagon barrel, lengths of 2, 4½ and 6 inches, MEDIUM FRAME .32 S&W CALIBER 5 SHOT, octagon barrel, lengths of 2, 4½ and 6 inches
    First Variation will have a round barrel & nickel trigger guard-----------1884-1887
    Second Variation will have a octagon barrel & nickel trigger guard-----1888-1897
    Third Variation will have a octagon barrel , blue trigger guard and company name and address on left side of barrel--------------1897-1904
    VALUE: First Variation 100%=$275 60%=$100 Others 100%=$225 60%=$65
    For all Young America Double Action variations and variants add 15% premium for blue finish and 10% premium for 4½” or 6” barrels.

YOUNG AMERICA SAFETY HAMMER FIRST MODEL
    spurless hammer variation of Young American First Model----------1888-1904
    VALUE: 100%=$235 60%=$75

YOUNG AMERICA BULLDOG FIRST MODEL
    MEDIUM FRAME.ONLY .32 SHORT RIMFIRE 5 SHOT ONLY----------1888-1904
    VALUE: 100%=$235 60%=$75

YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION SECOND MODEL
    SMALL FRAME 22 RIMFIRE CALIBER------------------------------1905-1941
    .22 short rimfire 7 shot, pull pin cylinder release Nickel finish, blue optional 2, 4½ & 6 inches barrel lengths, will have caliber and company name &
    address marked on side of barrel, Top strap will be marked “YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION” or “YOUNG AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION”. After 1930 listed in catalogs as; YOUNG AMERICA No. 70 DOUBLE ACTION
    VALUE: 100%=$235 60%=$65
    For all Young America Double Action variations and variants add 15% premium for blue finish and 10% premium for 4½” or 6” barrels.

YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION SECOND MODEL
    MEDIUM FRAME .32 S&W CALIBER---------------------------- 1905-1941
    5 shot cylinder capacity, pull pin cylinder release, Nickel finish, blue optional 2, 4½ & 6 inch barrel lengths, will have caliber and company name &
    address marked on side of barrel, Top strap will be marked “YOUNG AMERICA DOUBLE ACTION” or “YOUNG AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION”. After 1930 listed in catalogs as; YOUNG AMERICA No. 73 DOUBLE ACTION .32 Rimfire short 5 shot and YOUNG AMERICA No. 74 DOUBLE ACTION .32 S&W 5 shot
    VALUE: $225 $65

YOUNG AMERICA BULLDOG MEDIUM FRAME SECOND MODEL
    (only advertised as a separate model until 1923)------------1905-1923
    VALUE: $225 $75

YOUNG AMERICA SAFETY HAMMER MEDIUM FRAME SECOND MODEL
    (only advertised as a separate model until 1939)--------------1905-1939
    VALUE: $205 $65
  3. miguel

miguel New Member

Thanks for the info!
  4. John1157

John1157 New Member

B.Goforth,

This is a very interesting link, I too have found myself in possesion of a H&R revolver since my father in law passed.

It is nickel with a blue trigger guard, .32 center fire, removable cylinder rod.
    Young American Double action on the top strap.

2" octagon barrel, hammer has a firing pin on it.

Front sight appears to be nickel as well, no rear sight.

Appears to be well kept, no screwdriver rash on the screws, clean.

Only problem is the cylinder rod is missing, it has a makeshift rod.

I am interested in obtaining a cylinder rod.

Any ideas?

Thanks John
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  5. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Numrich gun parts has some listed.
    Call them with all info, and serial # handy.
    They may have what you need.
  6. John1157

John1157 New Member

7. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

You're welcome!
    Were they able to help you out?
  8. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

Gentlemen,
    I have come into possession of one of these revolvers, but I could use some information. The revolver I have is nickel, with a blued trigger guard and trigger. It has an octagonal barrel, on which it is marked "H&R ARMS COMPANY, WORCESTER, MASS. USA and 32 S&W CTGE." The top strap is marked "YOUNG AMERICA, DOUBLE ACTION" The serial number is stamped into the bottom of the frame ( 928XX ) It is also stamped on the side of the frame underneath the grips. The grips themselves are inscribed with the number as well. The grips are black, and I believe they are made of bakelite, or similar. The post by b goforth describes this well, but I am unclear as to whether this is a first model, third variant, or a second model. Can someone help me figure out what I have and when it was made ? Would this be a black-powder gun, or smokeless ? And most importantly, is it safe to shoot ? Thanks !
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Bigr Bang,
    You have a 2nd Model YADA. Somewhere around a MILLION of these were made during the period of 1884-1941. Numbering on 2nd Models began at 01 in 1905 and went way up by 1942. With a five digit s/n, yours probably dates to around 1907 or there abouts. With the cartridge stamping on the left side of the barrel, it was made to handle smokeless powder loads. The grip panels are made of BLACK, HARD RUBBER - a form of vulcanized (sulfur added) natural latex with carbon black added for color and strength - no BAKELITE which is a fiber reinforced thermo setting phenolic resin. Your gun is over 100 years old, and none of us knows how it was treated, handled nor cared for during that history. IF it is in safe condition to fire, it would be able to handle current factory loaded .32 S&W (not LONG). If you intend to shoot it, I suggest you take it to a gunsmith who is capable of properly determining its suitability. Have it checked or RETIRE it.
    IMG_1064-2.jpg
  10. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

Mr. Hauff,
    Thank-you for the information. The revolver I have resembles the picture you posted, except mine has a 2" barrel. (and the finish is a little worse) Honestly, the piece I have is in remarkable condition, considering it's age. The trigger is brutal, and fitting my fat finger in the guard isn't easy, either, but I believe that it's quite safe to fire. I don't believe that I will, but I think I could.
  11. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Bigr,
    You're welcome. The YADA seems to have been geared towards "kids". I have an advertising copy from around 1909 that boldly states that "the YOUNG AMERICA is the most popular JULY 4th NOISE MAKING gun for boys and girls." Hence the problem with your "fat" finger. :rolleyes:LOL.
    p.s. I posted the pic with the 6" barrel to show an optional barrel length.

BTW- My first name is Jim, not Mr. :D Thanks for thanking.