H & R Young American serial #21.53

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bsp1959, Aug 16, 2012.

1. bsp1959

bsp1959 New Member

Hello All, I found a old H & R double action young american at my fathers house after he passed and was wondering its age, value and if its worth bringing it back to useful status. The cylinder is very sloppy and does not rotate when trigger is pulled. The serial number under the grip on the left side is 21.53. No cal. i.d. anywhere. T.I.A. for any info.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• h_&_r.jpg
      h_&_r.jpg
      File size:
      52.1 KB
      Views:
    • hr2.jpg
      hr2.jpg
      File size:
      71.1 KB
      Views:
    • hr3.jpg
      hr3.jpg
      File size:
      77.9 KB
      Views:
  2. RJay

RJay Active Member

Our expert on H&R ( Jim Hauff ) is away from the forum for a while so any information I give will be hearsay.:) The Young American was manufactured from 1894 until 1941. With that low of a serial number I would guess yours is around the turn of the century. Over 1,500,000 were built over it's lifetime, so it is not rare or unique. In the condition shown I would say that someone may offer you 25-40 dollars just for a parts gun. Is it worth it to bring it up to Parr? that would have to be your decision, the cost would be above the value of the gun even if your restored it to like new. In excellent condition it is listed at only $125 Sorry about that.
  3. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

bsp1959,
    This old revolver in this condition is my eye-candy. I have restored many that were a lot worse than the one you have pictured. Of course I do it as a hobby, with little expectation of any profit, but it is rewarding. Here is a pic of a few I've done. These are parkerized, but I don't do hot-bluing. I use G96 cold bluing, and it gives somewhat satisfactory results, especially when you take into consideration what the revolvers looked like to start with.
    Old Gun Guy
    [​IMG]
  4. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Old Gun Guy,
    If you have time, I would like to have a private conversation with you - I want to restore some old pistols and even possibly a few old rifles. I would like your advice as to how to remove pits and rust from the surface metal, what kinds of costs you had in restoring these pieces? I know parts are available. Do you bother restoring pieces with bad bores? (I don't plan to, in those cases I plan on replacing the barrel). Overall, how do you think that the cold bluing will stand up over time?

These photos of the pieces you have restored are beautiful. You do some very nice work. You should offer your expertise as a service for people who want pieces restored. You would get paid for it, get to take pictures of the pieces, they just wouldn't be in your collection :)
  5. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

WHSmithIV,
    PM sent.
    Old Gun GUy