H.W. Ponds 7 Shot Revolver - Possibly .22 cal

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Walter485, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Walter485

Walter485 New Member

I have a small, single action, 7 shot revolver, possibly .22 cal. The overall length of the weapon is approximately 7".

The frame of the weapon appears to be brass. The barrel and cylinder appear to be chrome plated. Although slightly rusted, a portion (est. 20 - 30%) of the original finish still exists. The grip is made of wood.

There is a pin with a locking mechanism that holds the cylinder in place. When the cylinder is removed, there are 7 small sleeves that can be removed from the cylinder. It appears as though the ammunition is loaded into the sleeves and the sleeves reinserted into the cylinder.

The barrel is octagonal. On the topside of the barrel it is stamped with "L.W. Pond Worcester, Mass PatD Sept. 8, 1888". On one of the other barrel surfaces it is stamped "PatD Nov 8, 1864".

The serial number "1179" is stamped on the base of the pistol grip, on the cylinder and on the cylinder pin.

I am looking for any information pertaining to the date of manufacture, details on the manufacturer, confirmation of the caliber and any information on an estimated value of the weapon, or any other information pertaining to it.

I have attached photographs below.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Around 1870. Lucius W Pond,Worcester, Massachusetts. The sleeves were used to rry and circumvent S&W's patent on bored through cylinders. Produced in .22 and .32 Rimfire, BLACK POWDER, if you wish to fire it use nothing but CB caps such as CCI CB shorts.
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

find a copy of flayderman's guide to american antique firearms. there is a section on this unique revolver. one with the seperate chambers still intact could be worth $375 to $875 dollars depending on condition.

it would be best not to fire this revolver at all because if mechanically broken value would drop to about $100 or less.
    bill
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  4. Walter485

Walter485 New Member

Ron & Bill

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my post. This handgun belonged to my Great Grandfather and has been sitting in a drawer for 60+ years. I just recently put it on a wall mount for display.

Thanks for the warnings, but I have no intention of trying to fire it. I enjoy just looking at it. Any suggestions or recommendations for the proper care of it? I occasionally wipe it down with gun oil.

Thanks again - Walter