1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

H110...............WOW!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by frosty, Apr 12, 2004.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

21 grns under a 125 grn bullet in .357 mag with a CCI mag primer.

......................................WOW.................................:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This is the first BIG LOAD I have ever tried over 9 grns. (in any powder)

Gonna havta try that H110 or W296 in my .45 colt next.

O.k. Plano I am ready for some wrist poppers......:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  2. bompa

bompa New Member

Try that 21grs of H110 under a 260gr bullet in the 45Colt.. Only in a Ruger though...
  3. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Wrist snappers

If you like to shoot loads that give painful recoil, try 23 grains of H110 or W296 with a 300 grain solid out of a Ruger .45 LC. DO NOT USE THIS LOAD IN A COLT.
  4. renaissance7697

renaissance7697 New Member

Whoa-Too much Testosterone

Slow Down a bit.

It is fun to play with the tall dogs
    but
    Those kind of recipies best not be dangled in front
    of "Less Experienced" reloaders.

No disrespect intended, but

Certainly at least a firmer warning of caution is in order.

Perhaps a less cavalier attitude to extreme loads.

Moderator ???
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I'm with you ren7697. As a long time reloader, I will always caution even experienced reloaders to not take any load and just pop it in your gun. As most reloaders should be aware:

If load is unknown, drop load by 10% and work up from there in your gun. Never use anyone elses 'MAX' loads without the above!
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Well said, IPT.

My major concern is that the FIRST RULE of reloading is to AVOID the TOP end like the plague since it can be so disastrous, even to serious bodily injury or death. The rule to start load/experimenting at the low end and work up is there for a reason, even if one has a TRUSTED friend who says that anything above the LOW end won't be dangerous.

We have too many inexperienced persons just starting into hand loading and, as you have said previously, the first thing is to READ, READ, READ and then to READ some more..... Even at that each time I load I do it with tongue in cheek and a prayer that it will be alright.

This is precisely why the manufacturers caution against hand-made ammo and void warranties in the event of a reloading happenstance that damages the weapon, or most importantly, injures someone.

I think Ren's concern is extremely valid and talk about the top end of a formula or round should NOT be a part of discussions where inexperienced persons might pick up and interpret it as being a go-ahead for pushing without regard for the usual safe practices or the build of a round.
  7. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Mea Culpa

Sorry if I came on a bit strong with the heavy .45 Colt load. This load is right from the #26 Hodgdon Reloading manual, the section for Ruger pistols. Actually it generates less CUP than a hot .44 Magnun load. Ross Seyfried has been pushing this load for standard Ruger pistols for several years in Handloader magazine and in Guns and Ammo. I loaded a box of 50 when I tried the load and still have most of them. Bit too much recoil for me. Anyone wanting to do any handloading of pistol cartridges should get an up to date loading manual before doing anything else.
  8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Gunfyter, I could not agree more. I also have one more rule I use..............

Never shoot another handloaders reloads!!!!!

What may be good in his gun, might be death in yours!
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  9. frosty

frosty New Member

The load I used in my .357 is in Lymans 48th edition. It is the lowest for that powder and that bullet. I have never loaded anything hot the first time out....never.

I work up all my loads from the books lowest powder charge.

Thanks to all of you and the quick response.
  10. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

What size bullet are you using, Frosty. I'll PM ya some data!
  11. frosty

frosty New Member

Plano,

I am using a 125 grn jacketed hollow point (winchester is the brand).

It had a soft recoil compared to the same bullet loaded with 9.0 grns of power pistol.

It was very nice. It hit right where I was aiming. I was about 20 yards away.
  12. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Let me see what I can come up with in the next few days.
  13. bompa

bompa New Member

Been a while since I loaded any 357's but seem to remember that the slow powders,H110,2400 and 4227, were not the best for the light bullets..Lots of unburned powder seemed to bind up everything..
    Must be getting old or something because mild gentle loadings seem to provide the most pleasure today..
    Example: 3grs Bullseye and a 158gr lswc in the 38super is a present favorite and is like a target loaded 38spec revolver only in a 1911 auto..Cuts a clean hole in the paper and piles them up on each other,one ragged hole,when you are able to do your part..