H414 in a .308 WIN

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by IAhunter, Mar 2, 2010.

1. IAhunter

IAhunter New Member

I'm new to the forum, but not new to handloading. I'm currently working up a load for a Remington 600 in .308 WIN using a 165 grain Hornady SST. I bought this rifle a few years back for still hunting steep oakbrush and for calling blackbears and mountain lions. Just started working with it.

I'm getting decent (1-1 1/2") 5 shot groups with Varget, W748, H380, BL-C2, with the better groups coming out on top of IMR4064. I've fired a couple real nice groups with H414, then ran out.

Is anyone out there using H414 in a short barreled 308? Should I find some more H414, or am I burning powder out beyond the end of that 18" barrel?
  2. treecarcass

treecarcass New Member

buddy of mine has a ruger with a 18in bbl. won't use anything
    but 4064 gets damn fine groups too.
  3. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Did you chronograph the loads? If the velocity is acceptable, go with it.

Even if it was burning beyond the barrel, if that is what gave me the best results that is what I would use.

What method of load development are you using?
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

IAhunter:

My first thought was it is too slow for 308 but the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center says differently. It is about mid pack for velocity so it is a viable choice.

I try hard to minimize my stocks of powders and try to get a gun to shoot one of the Hodgdon ball powders like H335, H380, H414. One of those three always seems to give good results in most guns. Big magnums and little cartridges like 22 Hornet, not so much. The former usually get H4381 and the latter usually gets IMR4227. Note ALL (including the entire IMR line) are now supplied by Hodgdon. Hodgdon also supplies all the Winchester powders as well.

LDBennett