Habanero pepper sauce

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Crpdeth, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thanks Rich!

--------------------------------------------
    Here's one for you, Donny:

Habanero Pepper Sauce

12 habanero peppers, stems removed, finley chopped
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/2 cup chopped carrots
    1/2 cup distilled vinegar
    1/4 cup lime juice

Saute the onion and garlic in oil until soft; add the carrots with a small amount of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are soft. Place the mixture and raw chiles into a blender and puree until smooth. Don't cook the peppers, since cooking reduces flavor of the Habaneros. Combine the puree with vinegar and lime juice, then simmer for 5 minutes and seal in sterilized bottles.
    Heat index : 9 on a scale of 1-10.
    Yields 2 cups
  2. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

This one sounds good to me.
    I made some habanero sauce one year that was a 14 on a scale of 1 to 10 :eek:
    Just for fun I held a plastic fork over my lighter so that it curled and turned just a little blackened , then washed it.
    Well I would take that fork and stick it into the jar before offering the sauce to friends. When they would pull the fork out to put sauce on their plate most all would change their minds, of course I would be rolling on the floor watching them that tried eating it pouring honey in their mouths to remover the heat.
    A tooth pick dipped in that sauce and used to stir an eight quart pot of chili would be more then enough for most hot food lovers, but some like me would use two tooth picks :D
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I am LMAO Ron...We were cut from the same mold brother. :D

Hey Rich...I'm going to have a little time to play with your recipe this week..Im'a give a SitRep later. :D

Donny
  4. I'd appreciate that, Donny. I've made it up and found it plenty hot enough for my taste, but you fire-breathing Texans might not. Of course, you could always add a few more habaneros to stoke up the fire.
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

All kidding aside Rich, with habaneros as the main ingredient, I'm sure it'll scorch your hair off...At least I hope so 'cause I get sick of shaveing. :D

Crpdeth
  6. Texan on habanero pepper sauce:

[​IMG]

:D;):p
  7. Oh, by the way Donny. In that recipe I like to substitute a half cup of ordinary chopped green chili peppers (the really mild kind) for the carrots. It seems to come out with a spicier flavor. Just FYI. ;)
  8. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Well, I already bought the carrots. :D

To be honest, a friend of mine brings me habanero sauce from Belize occasionally and it is in a carrot blend...I've grown real accustomed to it so maybe this recipe will be real close in flavor so that I don't seem so excited when she shows up. :D:D:D

Crpdeth
  9. Both ways are good. The carrots seem to add just a touch of sweetness to offset the heat. Let me know how you like it. ;)
  10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Wow... Can you say 350,000 Scoville Units???

Rich I want to thank you for this one!

The only thing I added to the mix was a couple jalapeños just for flavor...I didn't measure anything (as usual) and may not have gotten enough carrots in there (I used two), so it came out a little more yellow than the stuff I get from Belize that is real orange looking.

I had to taste it while bottling it, but for the life of me I couldn't find anything that I wanted to eat with it so I just wiped the jar rim with my finger and tasted it like that...Oh boy, this stuff is nice! Have a stuffy nose or even chest congestion? Forget the meds, come try this stuff. :D

I think we should try a Red Savina and Ghost Pepper mix next.

Crpdeth
  11. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Ok, I'm in love with this stuff...No, I'm serious, the last time I put her back into the fridge I ran my finger along the curvature of the jar and told her so..."I love you".

My fiery hot sweetheart
    Made of carrots, peppers and love
    I know that we will never depart
    For you...I shall never dispose of

I spit shine your jar
    So shiny, reflective, and clean
    They will say I am bizarre
    But, I realize I must name thee..And I dub you Christine

I taste you upon my lips
    And your presence remains for hours
    With a heat that could sink battleships
    As I continue to devour

Oh, the garlic, the onion, sautéed just right...
    You are all I will ever need
    Perfect for breakfast...And again at night
    Forgive me for my greed!

My fiery hot sweetheart
    This creation of Rich's that is now mine
    Just say you'll never leave me
    But stop burning my behind!

Sorry...I was in the mood to write. :D

Donny
  12. I kinda thought you would like that stuff, Donny! :D It's not for the faint of heart though. I like your idea of adding some different kinds of peppers to it, just to give it a bit more flavor. Hey, you can always use it in your business to kill weeds if nothing else, but I wouldn't get any of it too close to an explosives storage facility. :D;):p
  13. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

lol

Well I gotta tell ya, Rich, this stuff is good in just about anything, I've used it in ketchup to eat fries with it, spooned it into Wolf brand chili and added it to my Gumbo and also my Smokehouse beans so far and it really turns the heat up.

Some people came over the other day to find me watching Court TV eating a bowl of my Smokehouse beans and wiping sweat from my head and face with a towel the other hand...I had added just a tad too much, but loving every bite. :D

Crpdeth
  14. Donny, how does it compare with your Belize friend's recipe, hotter, less hot, about the same? I got this one from a South American student of mine a few years ago. She said it was hot, and it is! :D
  15. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Rich, honestly it isn't "as hot" but somehow I like it better...I guess it's the flavor and everything combined...Also I don't have to wait for my delivery any more... :D

As an aside...Marie Sharps is the brand she was bringing me, and Walmart was supposed to pick it up...I haven't seen it on the shelves, but it is very good stuff.

Crpdeth