HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH MY SHOTGUN

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Rockyja, Oct 31, 2012.

1. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Practice shooting more and learn to go with the recoil rather than trying to control it.

High recoil scares many people and that just makes it worse. Tensing up makes it hurt...relax and go with it.

And find a different range!
  2. whirley

whirley New Member

Recoil from an express slug load in 12 gauge is about 24 foot pounds, compared to about 16 foot pounds for a 30-06. Kick or recoil depends on several things. Fit of the stock to the shooter and the weight of the gun among other things. Example, I have a .375 H&H weighs 9.7 pounds, no more apparent recoil than a 30-06. I have a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington and a Remington model 14 also in .35 remington. Same load, Marlin is nasty to shoot, Remington has less APPARENT recoil than my .243. The stock shape is different. This may sound ridiculous, but try taping a five pound weight to the barrels with duct tape when target shooting. I'll bet that additional weight will reduce the apparent recoil. Of course if you ever have to use it seriously, you'll never notice the recoil. Better still, come to Pa. to hunt and shoot. Our Game Commission has over 1,250,000 acres of land dedicated primarily for hunting and at least 20 rifle/pistol/shotgun/archery ranges open to anyone with a valid hunting license.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

anyone know what happened with Rockyja? His thing-a-ma-jigger says 'former guest', just curious...
  4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think he got in a fight with some other members on the forum. Everyone was pretty upset after the election and tempers were flying. Not sure if he left or got the boot from Shooter.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  5. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 New Member

Try reduced recoil 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot