Had a good scare

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gun Geezer, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

The wife and I went on a cruise to the Panama Canal last week. While in Costa Rica, we took an excursion to a wildlife sanctuary. We rode on a private bus line with a guide in each of the 2 buses. On the trip back to the ship, almost in eyesight of the port, we were stopped by several police motorcycles and our driver exited the bus with his packet of registration materials. The guide joined him when it appeared he was being questioned rather severely. She got back on the bus and explained to us that the police were not satisfied with his documents and that if he gave them some money, they would let him, and us, go. Our guide had a cell phone and she called the tour company, the police and the cruise line. It seemed the police might not have been real police, but thugs dressed like police and trying to extort money from tourists. She said it had happened before. Needless to say, the other passengers and myself were very nervous since, we didn't speak their language, our cell phones didn't work and we had no clue where we were. We sat there for more than 30 minutes and were finally allowed to proceed. We all laughed about it but when you think of how it could have gone wrong, it wasn't all that funny. It was a cruise-line sponsored excursion, not some local taxi tour and although between 2 buses there were 40 of us, we were pretty much in the rain forest in Port Limon, Costa Rica, about half way between Panama and Nicaragua. As bad as it sometimes seems, I am sure glad to be back in the USA!:eek:
  2. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Sounds like you had a real adventure. Glad it turned out okay and you got safely back home.
  3. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

Yeah...Central America sux...
  4. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

xxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2009
  5. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

That's pretty scary. I went on a cruise to Mexico last year and will go again in January. At least there, there aren't that many incidents when you stay in the "touristy" areas.
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont trust them down there and wont go there without being able to carry.
  7. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I wonder what the guides and drivers cut was? So beating the crap out of them when you got back wasn't an option I guess.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  8. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Scary stuff, geezer.

Interestingly enough, my parents went on a cruise in the last few weeks that passed through the Panama Canal as well as stopped in Costa Rica.

Did you depart from San Diego and end in Puerto Rico?
  9. ToolsForPros

ToolsForPros New Member

now if that whole bus was carrying...
  10. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

After just getting back from Panama last weekthis is another reason to avoid that part of the world.
  11. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

glad you all made it out of there in once piece!
  12. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply LurpyGeek. We departed from Fort Lauderdale, FL. on Holland America Line. Stopped at their private island, Half Moon Cay, then Aruba, Curacao, Cristobal, Panama, Port Limon, Costa Rica and back to FL. If we had opted to go the San Diego rt. we would have had to fly back to FL.

Except for the attempted hi-jacking, we actually had the best time ever. The organized excursions were great.
  13. tireman7.62x54r

tireman7.62x54r New Member

My brother went to Costa Rica a couple of years ago, had a good time, no problems.

The Costa Rican's complained that illegal aliens from Guatemala were invading the country and driving wages down.
  14. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Costa Rica didn't have any problem welcoming Bobby Vesco !! Of course he did have some $600M in his wallet..... >MW