had a wierd malfuntion today on my 4006

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by johnlives4christ, Sep 23, 2009.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

so i was out shooting a few. on the last shot it locked the slide open, when i went to remove the magazine i noticed the empty casing still in the gun.

i dont have a camera to post pics but basically when it extracted the empty casing, it somehow pulled it back, and down between the magazine feed lips. it pulled the casing almost straight back, and spread the feed lips as it lodged the empy there. i expect the magazine to be ruined although i haven't removed the empty from it yet. the casing was left in the magazine lips centered, but with the front of the casing with a slight rise and the magazine follower still engaged the slide stop. and the wierdest part is on the front of the casing, the edge that was on top. it has a couple dimples that looks like the slide had been released on the empty, but it haddent.

any ideas on this one?
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

First idea-luck
    Second idea- extractor did not engage rim of brass so it wasn't holding it to the bolt face. Got under the ejector and forced into the mag lips. Pictures would be helpful plus kinda cool to see. Glad it was just that and your OK.
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

not a fan of smith and wesson but the 4006 is a finely made gun. i would suspect the case of the failed round first. was it factory ammo or a reload ? if it wasn't the ammo the extractor might be the problem. some dirt or fouling might have caused the extractor to bind up during the cycle.
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i took the mag with the casing still in it to the gunsmith and he was bewildered said he had never seen anything like it. we did notice some slight bulging on the casing and on some of the other empties. they where factory winchester ammo.

on the casing there is a good scratch where the extractor had been resting. he said it was probably something to do with that one odd round. but i reckon we'll find out. got me to thinking i might want to replace my extractor spring.

i know it wasn't dirt or carbon, i keep it pretty clean, and always put a drop of lube on the extractor when i oil everything else. i had shot about 150 rounds through the gun since it's last cleaning but had wiped the soot out of it a time or two.

~john