Hakim

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by pawn, Jun 10, 2011.

1. pawn

pawn New Member

I recently purchased an Egyptian Hakim in 8mm Mauser. Rifle was produced in 1961 and qualifies as C&R. Anyone else own or have experience with the Hakim?

Attached Files:

2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

3. firelegs22

firelegs22 New Member

I had one for about 2 months, but my air conditioning quit and I had to sell it ( no air conditioning in Georgia can get pretty bad during the summer). I loved mine though. It was great fun to shoot. I had some trouble finding the right gas stetting on mine, but other than that they're great rifles in my mind.
  4. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

This big, bad and loud semi auto 8mm mauser behemoth is awesome. I purchased one at first to shoot the cheap turkish 8mm ammo. But later found out the gun powder the turks used is way too hot for the cycle timing of the egyptain hakim.

A few years back these could be purchased really cheap. There were so called out of battery firings with these hakims so they thought. Accident after accident i said how can this be? Since i owned a few hakims now i wanted to see exactly what was happening during this so called out of battery firing. Since this semi auto has a gas adjustment valve i figure that most don't know how to adjust them correctly.

Low and behold i figured out its not an out of battery firing. If the gas valve is too far open the gas system receives more gas pressure than it needs to operate it. Whats happening is I figured out the bolt carrier/bolt are moving rearward before the bullet has left the barrel with the 50k psi of gas pressure still present in the chamber/barrel. The shooter is actually getting hit in the face with the chamber/breech pressure. Its not, not an out of battery firing. There is a little lever inside the receiver that won't allow the hakim to fire unless its in full battery its an interuptor. You need to adjust the gas valve on the hakim to the ammo your shooting in it. Then you need to readjust it again when you cahnge brands of ammo. We need to know our weapon and how it functions to be safe and enjoy these awesome military surplus guns.

How to adjust the gas valve on your egyptian 8mm hakim;

First your gas adjustment screw, we need to make sure it turns and its not frozen stuck. I disassemble the gas port assemble and clean the gas port body inside and lube the threads with moly anti seeze so it will remain free. Don't pry the spring loc too much. Pry it just enough to turn the gas port screw to back it out. If its stuck it may or may not free up by soaking it with the PB blaster over night. I have had the screws so frozen i needed to use a small propane torch and heat it a little just under the flange on the gas port body till the screw frees up. Ok now your gas port is clean and its reassembled with anti seeze on the threads.

The hakim is a swedish design too. Its copied from the swedish ljungman. If you like the hakim you need to collect the swedish ljungman and the egyptian rasheed too. Seeing all 3 next to each other isan awesome sight.

To adjust the gas valve on the egyptian 8mm hakim. Remember this adjustment screw adjusts how much gas the system gets to operate it. It meters the gas the system sees so the more its closed the less gas the system gets to operate it. I first close the gas port screw all the way clockwise till it stops. Then i open it till i hear one click counter clockwise. Now i load one round in the mag and fire it. If the bolt carrier locks open (last round fired empty mag) then the setting is ok, "maybe". I then load two rounds and test fire it again. If it cycles ok again and the bolt carrier is open(last round fired empty mag) and the bolt carrier appears not to be slow or sluggish your ok. If it appears to be slow of sluggish then open the gas port screw counter clockwise one more click. And again test fire it with one round, if thats ok then go with two rounds. If she cycles ok with two rounds your ready to try a full mag. It should run flawless. Remember this type of gas system adjusts how much gas the system gets to operate it so the more the gas port screw is closed the better. The egyptain rasheed has the similair design on its gas system too and it adjusts the sameway. If the gas adjustment screw turns remember to remove it and clean it and lube it with the moly anti seeze so it will remain free. If you don't it will seeze up trust me i know. And one click open on the gas adjustment screw seems to be the norm.

On the russian SVT-40 Tokarev with its gas adjustment screw again your adjusting how much gas the systen gets to operate it. The low setting of 1.3 seems to be the norm on these svt-40's. I've seen the settings on these at the 1.7 setting and its like getting hit with a baseball bat in the shoulder because there is so much extra gas in the system the bolt carrier is slamming the rear of the receiver its that bad. On this one too the more its closed the better so the lower number on the setting is good. Make sure you line up the scribed lines too because the gas port holes are very small so the scribed lines need to be lined up perfectly for the svt 40 to operate. If the scribed lines aren't lined up the semi auto won't function.

The FN49 semi auto;

On the FN49 this is an adjustable gas system too. It has a sleeve we turn to expose a gas port slot. The more the slot is open the more gas we exhaust from the gas system. So the more the gas port is open the less gas the system sees to operate it. In this case the more its open the better. I start off with the gas port all the way open and fire one round and close it a little at a time till the bolt carrier locks open, (last round fired empty mag) and continue to fire one round and close it a little each time till the bolt carrier locks open. This is a finer adjustment and may take a few rounds to adjust it right. You want the adjustment perfect on this one too. Once your firing one round and the bolt carrier is locking the chamber open. Your ready to fire two rounds. If that goes ok then try a mag full. But again if its slow or sluggish you may close it just a tad to insure that the cycling is ok. Remember were adjusting how much gas is exhausted from the system on this FN49.

Please besafe and do it right and enjoy these awesome semi auto's they will give us a lifetime of shooting pleasure. Godbless, Bigbill

BTW; Did i say the egyptian hakim in 8mm is one of my favorites to shoot? It is, it really is...kidding.I like shooting it and watching the grass on the ground infront of the bench move. If your not sure on how to adjust it or any other stuff just feel free to ask, besafe and enjoy.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  5. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Hey Pawn, Give us a range report when you go. I've seen one locally for what I think is a fair price. been thinkin' about doing some trading. what are they worth, ballpark?
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  6. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

Anyone who likes the C&R military surplus guns shouldn't be without an egyptian hakim. When you shoot it at the range everyone will come over to see what your shooting and whats making all the noise. bill
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

bill, i get that with a flintlock at the range and if theres a cross wind i get shunted down wind :) but everytime i bring it out i spend more time jawin than shootin
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Ever experience Garand thumb? Garand thumb X 10 = Hakim Hamburger Thumb :yikes: I got to experience that via an unfortunate club member that was shooting his for the first time; kinda reminded me of the first time I heard a guy scream because he had to go see the Doc about some funky discharges after a night on the town in Korea...... :eek:

I did get to shoot it 3 times and it was a fine gun; a little heavy, but a very good feel to it and accurate.
  9. pawn

pawn New Member

I paid 6 bills for mine. Maybe a little steep but reconditioned very well and headspaced checked. 400-800 is the price range I see at the auction sites. I know people were buying them for $100, 20 years ago but they went the way of the $75 SKS :confused: :eek: :)

I will post a range report. Appreciate everyone's comments. FN49 would be a similarly fun gun. Do you have one BigBill?
  10. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I remember the $75 SKS. Beautiful rifle. No kidding on the thumb issue.
  11. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

I will post a range report. Appreciate everyone's comments. FN49 would be a similarly fun gun. Do you have one BigBill?[/QUOTE]

I have an egyptian FN49 in 8mm mauser, a Luxenborg FN49 in 30-06 and a venezulain FN49 in 7mm mauser. I found the fn49's in 8mm & '06 the sameday when an older collector was trading in his collection. I pays off to stay browsing. I haven't shot them yet i been too busy working and shooting the 8mm hakim most of the time. I think i still have 5 hakims buried in the safe too. One is a parts hakim but the complete shootable receiver is still there. I also purchased extra extractors too.

Sorry if i bored anyone with all the info on some of the different gas systems. I like to put the knowledge out there so we don't get the gas systems mixed up on how to adjust them. I just want everyone to besafe and enjoy them.

You also can read the gas setting on the hakim and know if its set right by looking at the fired case rim. If she is ripping the case rims or tearing them the gas setting is too high, too far open. Having the gas setting too high its trying to remove the case(brass) while its still expanded from firing thus ripping or tearing the case rim. There is a few mili seconds were the case cools after firing so it can be removed with no flaws left on it. Broken extractors can also be a common thing when its not adjusted correctly Adjusting the gas valve and setting it correctly is very important.

I'm not kidding when i say this. There has been magazines blow apart and stocks cracked by not having the gas adjusted correctly. We have to do it right. There ya go you have all my hakim knowledge to beasafe. enjoy; Bill
  12. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

We have to watch our thumbs for sure on the hakim. I can't believe the egyptian army carried these hakims into battle.

Memories of the early sks prices. Did you know the first chinese norinco sks's were priced at $1,000. When they didn't sell mainly because of this new weird caliber ammo they dropped the price so they would sell. My buddy who had his ffl01 dealers license told me the wholesaler was offering a free 1440rd case of the 7,62x39 ammo with a new chinese sks for just $59 to the dealers trying to get them to finally sell. At the time some dealers offered them at $59 for the sks and $59 for the 1440rd case of ammo. He gave me my first chinese sks with the $59 case of ammo. I welded up the brackets to hold twin 30cal browning belt feds together on the roof hatch of his volvo which made the front page on Machine Gun News back then. He fed them from two 5 gallon buckets of belts/ammo on the front seat.
  13. pawn

pawn New Member

Excellent posts BigBill. Not boring, far from it. I appreciate you taking the time to share your Hakim knowledge. I have a gas valve adjustment tool on order. I will break the rifle down over the next week or so to clean, oil and become familiar with operation. Action's function is different from any other rifle I have experienced.
  14. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

To lube the semi auto rifles i perfer to use a moly paste or anti seeze but you can use a gun grease on the bolt carrier/bolt and a little on the receiver rails too. I also lube the recoil spring with grease or moly too. It cuts down on the spring wear. Bill
  15. pawn

pawn New Member

Thanks again. It would be great if you could post a pick of your FN49's, I sure would like to see them. :)