HAM GLAZING QUESTION

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by AL MOUNT, Jan 24, 2007.

1. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Yesterday I purchased a local brand (Miller), bone less ham.

Buddy of mine from the Am. Legion says there the best he ever ate....we'll see...

I want to glaze/smear it with honey and oven cook it for a while.

What temp & cooking time would you suggest ?

If anybody has a special glaze recipe they'd care to share

I'd appreciate that too....:D

Just to keep from being totally off topic.....:p

I got a Colt Pony .380 Monday......:D
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Al

I'm not a huge boneless ham fan, so I haven't cooked many of them, but I'll toss in my .002

Most would preheat their oven to 350 and cook it covered @ 20 minutes per Lb, then apply that glaze during the last 10 to 15 minutes of the cook.

Personally, I cook things very slowly, maybe too slow...I'd probabally drop the temp to at least 275 to 300, smear some brown sugar on 'er and try to cook it all day (Just use a meat probe each time you baste, I'd have to look it up but I'm sure an internal temp of 160 is what were shooting for)

Baste every half hour or less and dont forget the pineapples! (maybe pour a little of that pineapple juice in the pan for basting)....

Remember to think ahead and thaw that baby in the fridge or in cold water...Never on the counter top.

And you aren't off topic, you are preparing domestic eats! :D

Now I'm getting hungry. :cool:

Crpdeth
  3. Al, the simplest glaze (and one of the best) for a ham is mostly brown sugar and mustard. Here's a receipe for that:

If you want to get a little fancier, this one is pretty good:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2007
  4. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

I really don't know how to cook but they always use ginger ale in our hams and they taste great.