Hammer does not reset on DPMS .308

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by bluesea112, Aug 6, 2009.

1. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

DPMS Panther LR .308
    JP Trigger
    6 position DPMS stock

Hope somebody can help me figure out why the following is happening.

Problem:
    The first round fires and empty case ejects. New round is loaded into chamber but trigger does not reset. I pulled the rear pin so I could pivot open and look at hammer. I noticed that the hammer had not been cocked by the recoiling bolt after the round was fired.
    I reset the hammer by hand, put the rear pin back in and fired. Empty case ejected and new round was chambered. I tried to pull the trigger to fire the second round and had the same problem....trigger had not been reset because the bolt did not cock the hammer.
    Any suggestions on what may need to be adjusted?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Bluesea112
  2. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

Who installed the trigger upgrade?
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

call me, I have an idea what might be happening. You still have my number right, if not PM me. I could explain here but it would probably take 3 or 4 pages...
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

To determine what the fault might be it helps to understand how the trigger is suppose to work.

The trigger releases the hammer, buy moving the sear out of engagement with the hammer, which hits the firing pin and the cartridge goes off. The bolt moves to the rear as the gas from the muzzle end of the barrel is routed back into the bolt carrier, unlocking it and moving it to the rear. In is rearward travels it extracts the empty case, ejects that case and pushes the hammer down into the trigger group where the disconnector catches it (it happens so fast that you have yet to release the trigger and it is still pulled). The bolt/carrier then moves forward stripping off a new round and putting that round fully into the chamber. When you release the trigger, well after all of the above happens, the hammer is moved from the disconnector holding it back to the sear holding the hammer cocked. You can feel that transfer and hear it as the hammer snaps off the disconnector and onto the sear while moving a bit forward.

What could be wrong in your gun? Did the disconnector not catch the hammer in recoil? After market adjustable triggers can be misadjusted so that the disconnector never catches the hammer in recoil. They can also be misadjusted so that when you release the trigger they do not allow the sear to catch the disconnector released hammer. This is why you were asked who installed your after market trigger. It may be misadjusted if you even have one. If your trigger system is original then it may be dirty or broken.

The other possibility in any semi-auto gun is that the ammo is so lightly loaded as to not allow the gun to fully cycle the bolt/carrier. Some guns can eject, pickup the new cartridge, but the bolt/carrier not travel far enough to cock the hammer. On some guns that is not possible and I don't know if that is the case with the AR guns or not.

The above information may give you enough info so that you can figure out exactly what you gun is failing to do, allowing you to attack that issue and fix the gun. Manually cycling the unloaded gun may reveal what is happening and what is not, if it is a gun problem and not an ammo problem.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  5. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I had a gunsmith install my trigger, and then I adjusted it according to the instructions. I had already thought about the possibility of the cartridges not being hot enough, so I loaded some of my own to a couple of grains under max......same problem.

Josh, I will give you a holler as soon as I send this. (Must be my lucky day. I was seeking the advice of a gun doctor and the Surgeon General shows up.)

Bluesea112
  6. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I realize this is an old post, but I thought I would bring some closure to it. As it turns out, there is a peice broken off the part that catches the hammer. When the hammer is pushed back, it is suppose to catch on a hooked portion of the base plate. The tip of that hook is broken off, so the hammer has nothing to grab onto when it is pushed back. The tip of the hook broke off so perfectly square that it looks like it was machined that way. I would not have known it was broken if "JLA" had not explained what it was suppose to look like. Problem solved.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sucks when that happens.;) Good excuse to get a new trigger I suppose. Maybe JP will honor thier product and send you a replacement...