Hammerless revolvers...your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/30/02 2:22:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Hammerless revolvers...your thoughts?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Had a female acquaintance ask about a self-defense handgun recommendations recently, and I gave my standard reply: 38 special revolver (for those who aren't inclined to get real familiar with semi-auto operation). Also, I lean toward hammerless or shrouded models, which can be fired from inside a purse or coat pocket, if need be, and less chance of snagging. Though I must confess, I have never owned a hammerless revolver myself...anyone have opinions on different models, pro & con? Thanks in advance.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/30/02 9:30:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hammerless revolvers...your thoughts?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nobody seems to be chiming in here. I don't really have much play time with modern concealed hammer or hammerless revolvers, but I have messed with the older "Lemon Squeezer" type revolver, and the Velo-Dog and Velo-Brom style pistols with the hidden hammer and folding trigger. The whole intent and design of these revolvers was as a pocket piece that can be easily drawn and fired, or fired from within the pocket without fear of snagging the hammer. Good short range weapons, and fun to shoot - however, I have never taken the opportunity to blow a hole through my pocket - I have always fired them in the open.

There are several more modern weapons that would be great for the purpose you mentioned, and I would highly recommend as no-hassle, easy use weapons. Smith & Wesson makes a couple of short barreled concealed hammer designs (or at least used to), and I believe Taurus has some too.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/30/02 11:16:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Hammerless revolvers...your thoughts?
    The Taurus 850CIA is an excellent example of the "hammerless" revolver (its actually an internal hammer), in the old S&W Centennial style. Available in 'Total Titanium', weighs just under one pound and is rated for +P. Factory ported too. Retails well under $500.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/31/02 11:47:35 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hammerless revolvers...your thoughts?
    I've owned both the S&W Model 38 (lightweight Bodyguard) and the Model 49 (steel Bodyguard). These are essentially shrouded hammer versions of the S&W Chief. Both are supurb "coat pocket" or "inside-the-purse" guns. They're also very concealable for shirt-out, inside-the-pants-holster-carry for a small framed person (women).

My "fall-winter-spring" CCW is a customized LW Commander in .45ACP, but for during those lightweight clothing summer months, I prefer my Model 49 (with pachmayr grips). The 49 is much easier to conceal, and packs acceptable stopping with .38 Special +Ps.

loader44
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/31/02 1:30:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Hammerless revolvers
    Bought my wife one for her Birthday last October, Taurus 357mag, 2", Hammerless, for her CHL, she loves the thing, carries it everwhere. In her purse, pocket, and on her belt. I ever like to carry it. Its 5 shot, she uses 38spec. in it, but can use 357mag. probably the best little revolver I have ever used. JMHO.

loader44.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/31/02 1:47:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Hammerless revolvers
    38+P+ folks, 38+P+!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/5/02 4:03:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hammerless revolvers
    I've owned / carried a Taurus 85CH in the past, a fine small defensive tool.

My preference is for compact semis, but have recommended Revolvers as a simpler solution to many people who I felt wouldn't be likely to train sufficiently. I've encouraged greater trainind, and the consideration of the duties and responsibilities of carrying, and made sure that folks understand that carrying is not a 'magic solution'.

I've been considering one of the new titanium-based lightweight revolvers, they appeal to me.

velvetnsteel
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/8/02 7:39:10 pm)
    Wife has one of the little Taurus model 85 bobbed hammer. We both love it. Has the rubber finger groove grips and is a perfect fit for my small hands. Loaded with +P's is a dream to shoot.
    Long live the Swedish Mauser!!

MICHDAN555
    (4/12/02 5:49:22 pm)
    There are two distinct trigger actions in the revolvers mentioned. The S&W Bodyguard may be fired double action for every shot or the hammer (barely exposed) may be cocked for single action use. The Centennial is double action only (DAO) with the hammer totally concealed. There there are the revovlers with bobbed hammers such as the Taurus 605. The hammer is exposed, but there is no single action notch in the hammer, so it's DAO. This type could have a problem firing through a pocket as material etc... could get caught between the hammer and frame on the downstroke of the hammer. Lastly, some people grind the hammer spur down on a traditional DA/SA revolver. This is normally fired DAO but the hammer could be "Caught" when pulling the trigger, then fully cocked for SA usage. The last, I don't recomend for the average shooter.
    MICHDAN-CHIEF-GEEZER

jer2003
    (4/13/02 6:04:19 pm)
    I have two at present. S&W 642 and 640. I once owned a Taurus 85 CH.
    I expecially like the CH style of concealed carry.

I think it is an excellent style for a woman or anyone who does not really need the SA capability. The SA mode is more prone to accidental discharge, and also the hammer makes it more prone to catch on clothing or in a purse.

I also have a M60 .357 with 3" barrel, and it is not a CH. The onl time I use the SA mode is to check accuracy or to make shots beyond 25 yards.

Jerry
  2. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 New Member

I bought a Taurus Model 85. 38 spl. Mine is one made with SA/DA trigger and hammer spur.

I had gunsmith bob the hammer for me, something I read about decades ago in Shooting Times. So now I have basically a chopped hammer but still have teh option for single action firing.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I prefer a hammerless for my backup piece, they don't snag on the way out and they go bang every time. Can't ask for much more than that.

S&W 642 is one of my favorites, the new ruger polymer frames are looking good. Add a set of crimson trace grips and it's about the most reliable handgun out there.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:D Good Golly, Miss Molly, Original post was 9 years ago :D
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was thinking "Zombie Thread", but hey, a lot of the folks here now weren't here nine years ago. I wasn't.

If I was going "hammerless", I'd either get a 642 or a 638.

[​IMG]

Oh, that's right. I've got them. :p

GLS 1956 bobbed the spur on his. That's good. He can draw from his pocket without the hammer spur snagging. But with a 642 or 638 he could shoot it while IN the pocket.

I wouldn't want to do it. Tailors are SO expensive. :) But if the need arose, I could.
  6. johnnybocce

johnnybocce New Member

Everybody today is concerned with ultra conceal ability with regards to carrying a firearm. I admit that is a big factor, however, the main issue should be that the individual be able to successfully hit the target thus rendering them incapable of returning fire. The hammer less revolvers being offered on the market do indeed conceal themselves sufficiently but I find their trigger pull to be a bit excessive. At very close range they can be forgiving. At a longer distance the operator best be an experienced and adequate shooter. The ability to go to single action does have have its distinct advantages. Should an individual find themselves inside their bedroom during a home invasion, the ability to squeeze off an accurate round with minimal trigger pull from a single/double revolver could be life saving. The bottom line with all firearms is for the owner to practice,practice, practice.
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly. I am proficient with DA, but in a pinch would prefer to have the choice to use SA in a self defense mode if need be. I understand that the hammer gets in the way, but practicing good holster draw habits is as important as practicing good shooting technique.
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

my 642 has a very nice trigger on it, while SA has it's advantage for accuracy, it's not something I'm likely worrying about being a backup gun. It's something I need fast that will work no matter what. The only way to stop it is if someone was able to pinch the cylinder from rotating, good luck with that.

and agreed, practice is paramount!
  9. Archie

Archie Member

I'm in favor, but I don't use 'off the rack' guns.

Attached Files:

10. backlasher

backlasher New Member

I've got a Taurus 650. It's a hammerless, 2" barreled, .357 mag. If I don't hit the bad guy, it'll set him on fire!
  11. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    im with johnny on this.if an inexperienced shooter has the gun they will have a hard time learning to shoot double action only.i have taught hundreds of people to shoot and all have liked the ability to shoot both ways.to hit the target it was always easier to shoot single action.to be the only shot that counts is the first one fired and it has to hit. old semperfi
  12. JTofGPD

JTofGPD New Member

I recently bought a sw642 38 spl. LOVE IT!
  13. backlasher

backlasher New Member

Ed Lovette in Snubby Revolver says that a short barreled revolver is to be used like a derringer. While folks love their 1911s (me too) the snubby is the gun most likely to be carried all the time. Hammerless is even better.
  14. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

If it doesn't have a hammer I don't want it.
  15. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I carry my wifes 642 because she won't....best $400 I ever spent...