Hand priming and then loading by press...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by rnshooter, Apr 10, 2005.

1. rnshooter

rnshooter New Member

I recently purchased a Lee Pro 1000 and have loaded about 200 rounds on it so far. I like the press, however, the priming system is not the best/easiest to use. Hence, I ordered a Lee hand priming tool, which I hear are real nice and work really well. My question is, what will be the easiest way to crank out the most rounds...my though is this, I will have to resize/deprime all of my brass, then take that die out of the press to finish the round. Because I definetly do not want to attempt to deprime a case with a live primer in it. The resizing/depriming die is real easy to set-up. Is this the way to go, or is there another way and I haven't thought of it yet. Thanks for the input.

be safe
  2. verdejt

verdejt New Member

I have a Lee 4 hole autoindexing Turret Press and I use the Lee hand priming tool. I like it a lot and works great. I usually clean and then deprime and size my brass. Then I use the hand prime and prime the lot that I am going to reload (I do lots of 100). Then I set up my press with the charge die,seating die, and crimp die. I like to measure every 5th round or so to ensure accuracy. I load handgun stuff mostly, I am just starting to reload for .308.
  3. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Love my Lee Hand Priming Tool! It really give you a precise feel when the primer seats. It's not fast, so if you are loading large amounts of ammo you might eventually get a Lee Auto Prime system for your progressive press. ;)
  4. matty

matty New Member

just tell your wife you bought her a hand exerciser to work the flab out of those fingers. show her what to do and then let her at it.

my wife primes alot of my brass for me. ( she beats me at arm wrestling though, and she opens her own jars now too ) :)
  5. Icon-oclast

Icon-oclast New Member

Except for cranking out large volumes of handgun ammo on the Dillon, I prime separately using an RCBS tool (don't know what it is called, but I've had it 25+ years which bolts to the bench and uses the same primer tubes as if one were using the press-mounted tooling). I'm sure the Lee hand tool works as well, and it has the added advantage of working in front of the TV. I'm not a big fan of seating primers with a press. I've done it and continue to do it, but cull out enough bad ones that I would never conceive of doing so unless I was performing a careful QC when packaging the finished rounds.