Handed down S&W .38 sp revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by reprosser, Sep 27, 2010.

1. reprosser

reprosser New Member

Hello all - first posting

While I have fired different weapons over the years, I have never owned one until recently. I was just handed down a revolver that was my grandfather's. As best as I can tell, it is a .38 S&W Chiefs special model 36 with 3" barrel.

[​IMG]

I cannot seem to find anything about the serial number ATF-2600-xxx on the butt. Does the ATF prefix mean anything? My grandfather was a policeman for a while, and he may have carried this then.
    [​IMG]

Markings include "Marcas Registradas" on the side.

[​IMG]

No markings on the cylinder

[​IMG]

and it looks like some markings were removed from the yoke
    [​IMG]

I would love to know when the revolver was made, and any other special history. It looks to be in pretty good shape, so it should be usable, but it has not been fired in probably 10 years or more.

Thanks for any info.

rick
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

the point on the frame where it has been filed is where the original serial number would have been.
  3. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I can not find anything in the standard catalog of smith and wesson. If those are original grips it is pre 1968. I am wondering if it was a special presentation or of a run made for the ATF. That is where the serial number should be. maybe the Smith and wesson super collectors can chime in. I think you got a unigue piece here.
  4. johnlives4christ

maybe the yoke and frame were filed like that by an atf agent as some special mod to his gun?
  5. reprosser

reprosser New Member

I am wondering if the police dept may have sent a batch of confiscated handguns (that had serial numbers removed) to the ATF to get re-serialized so the guns could go back into use? I have no idea if this was allowed back when my grandfather was a cop - or today.

I plan to have it checked by a local gunsmith next week - maybe get some more info then...
  6. johnlives4christ

keep us informed
  7. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

where is alpo and some of the other smith collectors. I think this is something special and out of the ordinary.
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

This was answered in another post, that's the problem when some one posts duplicate post in different forum areas on the forum. It is nothing special, for what ever reason both the serial number and Model number were removed.
    Why? who knows perhaps at one time it was a recovered gun. The ATF assigned a new number and it was so stamped, probably by the gunsmith who requested the new number. It does not increase the value of being a old tired S&W over any other like item, If anything, it would probably reduce the value.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If a gun was stolen and the serial number removed, then recovered and returned to the rightful owner, ATF will assign a new serial number that a gunsmith can stamp on the gun so an innocent person will not be in violation of the law by possessing a gun from which the serial number had been removed.

This is one such gun.

FWIW, that 3" barrel square butt is one happy combination, nicely balanced and with a decent sight radius; I carried one for years. Forget the outward appearance; you have a good gun.

Jim
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  10. reprosser

reprosser New Member

Thanks to the moderator who consolidated into one thread to simplify things.

Jim K - Yeah, I kinda like it too.:D I used the gun today to qualify for my CWP. :cool:

Still plan to take it to a gunsmith to see if I can find out about the serial #. If it is legal, I will enjoy having my grandfathers revolver. If not, I guess I will have to turn it in...
  11. johnlives4christ

good on you for working on getting a CHP . im sure it'll be neat to carry your grandpas gun
  12. reprosser

reprosser New Member

I confirmed that this was a recovered gun that was re-serialized by ATF, and alas, it was not my grandfathers gun.

I like it anyway, and will continue to use it.