Handgun case length

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by stev32k, Nov 5, 2012.

1. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

How important is handgun case length? I know it's very important in rifle cases, but does not seem to be as important with straight sided handgun cases - is that right?

I measured 35 once fired 9mm cases and the average length is .746" the range is 0.739 - 0.755. I know it affects case mouth expansion - long cases get more bell than short cases, and I suspect (but not sure) it affects crimping.

I haven't loaded very many rounds, but so far I have not noticed any problem with crimping - but maybe I don't know what to look for. The few rounds I've fired (10) didn't have any issues. They worked as good as the factory rounds.

All of my cases are coming from an indoor pistol range and I suspect every brand of ammo known to man is fired there. I throw away all the steel cases and the ones that have been stepped on or have finger nail polish on the primer (I think that means they were reloads). Other than that I just sweep up the floor and put every thing in a bag and make no attempt to sort them by brand.

I would be interested in knowing if that is a problem, and if so what to do about it.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Pistol brass doesn't grow like rifle brass. If you're worried about your 9mm brass needing trimming, don't. You'll most likely lose it or the mouths will split long before they stretch.
  3. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

I know alot of people don't care but I segregate all my pistol brass, brand and length. for example 45acp length range is .888 to .898 so the one's that are .888 to .894 I put in one box then .895 to .898 go in another. I have found that the longer are more accurate than the shorter. (head space):)
  4. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I wouldnt throw the nail polish ones away.Somebody just sealed the primer for some reason.Your decapper should pop it right out.I never trim my 45acp brass and ive fired it a bunch.
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I put nail polish on some of mine.
    I load mostly all I shoot.
    I have put nail polish on 'bought' ammo as well.
    I would load the ones you find with the nail
    polish....just inspect them as you would the
    others. The 9mm brass will re-load many times
    even if someone is loading them a little hot.