Handgun maintenance

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by hogger129, Nov 30, 2009.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Forgive me for asking this, but it's better if I know the correct and proper way rather than the wrong and dangerous way.

When you guys give your 1911 a clean, do you completely field strip it? Is it easy? I have never field stripped A gun let alone a 1911. Also, I would think they would sell lube and cleaning kits at say Gander Mountain? Thanks. I know it may sound like a dumb question, but I want to do it the right way.
  2. Brian48

Brian48 New Member

If you mean a detail strip versus a field strip, not all the time, but it's easy enough to take a part the slide and clean out the extractor hook and firing pin channel.
  3. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

Field strip yes, after each range trip. Detail strip, only when I have too:) My Glocks are much easier to deal with in the maintenance department.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I'm guessing by your name and comment that you have the Glock 22. How do you like it? I have shot the 17 9mm before, never shot anything in .40. I have heard from many people who don't like the .40 round. I don't know really anything about the .40 round.
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Yes I actually hadn't checked YouTube yet (brain fart), anyway, a guy had a really good video up about doing a basic cleaning where he told what was needed, took the top part of the gun apart and explained it all. I am going to go out to Gander Mountain tonight and find a cleaning kit and some lube. I will probably take it apart this weekend and give it a good once over, then again after I shoot.

Thanks for yours and everyone else's help. I'm glad I joined this forum.
  6. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

7. parputt

parputt New Member

My procedure is as follows:

Field strip every 300-500 rounds.
    Detail strip every 2500-3000 rounds.
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Yeah just field stripped it and cleaned/lubed it and had a he&& of a time trying to get the slide stop back in. I ended up fiddling around with it for awhile and I was sure I had it all lined up right and eventually it dropped into place. But what a pain. Anybody else have similar issues?
  9. parputt

parputt New Member

There are several ways to go about this. Most of the time what is happening is the slide stop is hanging up on the plunger. Take a small screw driver and depress the plunger until you get the stop past it. Or, very carefully cam the stop up toward the take down notch taking care not to rub the stop along the frame while doing so thus creating the famous "idiot scratch" The main thing is to take your time and don't force anything. You are dealing with steel which ain't gonna give. The harder you push the harder it will push back.

After doing it a few dozen times it will become old hat.
  10. LCaswell

LCaswell New Member

I have an old 1911 and the barrel bushing is split. The old bushing mic's about 0.585" and the barrel mic's 0.578. What brand and size bushing should I replace it with?
  11. navis128

navis128 New Member

I had a horrible first time and I have a manual! I got a lot of help from a particular individual who I think I was driving crazy 'cause I kept whinning.

It's almost like they have a personality all there own and you have to stroke them just right and then it all comes together. Once I got it, I took it apart and put it back together several times to get like "muscle memory".

Next one is going to be a Colt! No "tools" required!
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  12. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Didnt "Major Pain" do one of those upside down and blind-folded?;)
  13. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Once you field strip and reassemble, you'll get the hang of it. The nice thing, is that any 1911's essentially come apart and go back together the same.

You'll become an "Official 1911 Cleaning Guru".

BTW, the first then I do when have a question "how-to", whether gun related or changing a air cabin filter in a Honda Pilot....is go to YouTube. There's a wealth of knowledge on it.

I learn better if I can watch rather than read instructions.
  14. TheGunClinger

Find a good local smith and let him fit a new bushing. It will be worth it.
  15. TheGunClinger

The first time I took apart my nephews Colt Gold Cup it took me two days and some serious Scotch on the rocks to get it back together again. Now I own 3 1911's and all are different. One is an old Ithaca 1943 war horse which comes apart just like that Gold Cup and I have a "Parts gun" that my smith made for himself. It has a 2 piece spring and I have a Springfield that has a one piece spring. So I have to have an allen wrench for the 2 piece rod and a paperclip for the one piece rod. I can handle that.. The old Ithaca I can actually do with my eyes closed. I dont get to the range too often so I just take them apart and put them back together for fun. Must be getting old.:(