Handgun Sighting.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by zavozod, Nov 20, 2005.

1. zavozod

zavozod New Member

I bought a HK fullsize .40 SW. At 7 yards the first shot was a bullseye. The rest of the 10 rounds looked like a buck shot pattern. Single action for all ten, slow rate of fire. The next 5 mags same thing. So I am wondering if gun or me. I set up some sand bags and presto 5 shots 2 inchs. So it is not the gun, it's me. Now three weeks later I am getting better. Point of impact is low and to the right. I have tried one hand, two hand and experience the same pattern. This proplem only happens in slow single action. When I shoot rapid fire at 7 yards I get a 4 inch group. Any ideas?
  2. jeep45238

jeep45238 New Member

The human hand/eye coordination is dead on accurate when you point a handgun (or similar sized object) for about 1/10th of a second. When you start to aim, you loose accuracy.

You natural instincts for defense are kicking in when you're doing a rapid fire, and your skill is coming through when you take your time.

I'm almost in the same situation, teaching myself to shoot a handgun, but I started with 8.5x11 peices of paper, hitting 1, maybe 2 times out of 10 for the mag. Now I can place most of them, all are centered, but at the bottom of the paper. Grouping is about 5-6 inches. One of my freinds can get about 5 inch groups at 25-20 yards, so I know it's me, not the gun.

Just invest in some bulk Remington UMC ammo. It's about 17-18 cents per round when you buy the megapack of 250 rounds vs. 25+cents in the 50 round cards of almost any brand.

Nice gun, by the way. Felt great in my hands, definately not a CCW, and too much cash for my blood (well, wallet at least). Had an opportunity to shoot one earlier this week, and I taught him how to shoot a shotgun.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  3. excop

excop New Member

A couple of target analysis sites are here and here.

My main problem when I was learning to shoot double action revolver with two handed hold was increasing my grip pressure with my strong (right) hand just prior to ignition. Shots would pull to the right. Wasn't hard to correct; keep your grip pressure the same during trigger pull. Just concentrate and practice.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  4. zavozod

zavozod New Member

I found the cure!!! I bought the SW1911 5 inch. I shoot 2 inch groups at 8 yards dead center. 18 and 25 yards are a differant story. I think the HK USP grip was to big around. I am know on the hunt for targrt type sights for the 1911.
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Welcome to the world of the 1911. For adj rear sight,check out Bo-Mar and MMC. The MMC may fit the standard dovetail cut in your slide. If you choose Bo-Mar,the slide will have to be milled to install the sight. Both sights are available from www.brownells.com .

Study this link. www.americanshooter.com/features/features.html "Want To Shoot Like a Pro". Read it and practice. Your groups WILL improve.

Good luck. :)
  6. excop

excop New Member

Ditto on Bo-Mar and MMC. I had a Bo-Mar low mount installed on my Wilson tuned .45 many years ago and Wilsons had to machine the slide to mount it. I love the sight picture though.

A first option may be a target sight that you can just replace using the original dovetail. Then if you want to go further....

Congrats. on finding something that shoots good for you. There is nothing like a firearm that you can shoot well with.

And practice, practice, practice.

Ooops, I've been getting a little lax on practice lately.
  7. joecad

joecad New Member

8. excop

excop New Member

Great web site joecad! First time I've seen rhythm addressed in this thread.

And the normal sight wobble on the target that you need to ignore and just shoot hasn't been brought up yet...Unless that was supposed to be in the Loss of Concentration area.

So much stuff to cover.

Me, I just plink.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  9. joecad

joecad New Member

excop
    glad you liked it
    you put some nice material up for con sumption as well.
    i have saved it offline as i am trying to gather as much info on the subject and condense it into one ......in an effort to come up with one set that will address all facets.
  10. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Hey excop wecome to TFF.
  11. excop

excop New Member

Thanks Deputy Dawg, good to be here. From lurking around a few of the forums it seems like there are a lot of well qualified and experienced people on this board.