Handgun Wanted ... Opionions welcome

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

stiver007
    (5/23/02 7:41:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Handgun Wanted ... Opionions welcome
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looking to buy my first handgun. I'm well skilled with rifles and shotguns, but I've never owned a handgun and I'm not sure what would be a good "fit". Any help would be appreciated.

Uses:
    Range Shooting
    Family Protection
    Hunting/Fishing/Hiking Carry-along
    Teach wife how to shoot
    Killing Rabid Vermin on the farm!

Budget:
    < $1000.00

Caliber:
    Unknown

Cost of rounds:
    Doesn't matter

Tac401
    Administrator
    (5/23/02 8:24:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Handgun Wanted ... Opionions welcome
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome Aboard stiver007!

Someone will be along shortly to answer your questions!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (5/23/02 8:36:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Handgun Wanted ... Opionions welcome
    Welcome to the board.

My choice would be a Kimber or Springfield 1911 in .45 cal. Then purchase a .22 cal. conversion.
    That combination would work for all that you require.

Besides, everyone needs a good 1911.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/23/02 9:55:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Yep.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

Alphamale
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/23/02 10:29:16 pm)
    Uh huh, what he said. Unlessss you want a revolver, then a nice medium frame .357. Family protection, carry along hunting/fishing use 357 mag, teaching wife to shoot light 38 spl loads. Killing rapid rabid vermin, either.
    Pardon me while I burst into flames. I've had enough of the world and its people's mindless games---Incubus

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/24/02 8:22:08 pm)
    I can't believe I am saying this, but if you have a $1,000 budget for one gun, go for a good 45acp with the 22 conversion kit like the others said.

(all my poor Spanish pistols are down in the basement whimpering!)
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

needleace
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/24/02 9:36:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

I guess I have to jump in with my .02. I think that the .45 in the Kimber or the Springfield would be in our hands and is
    an excellent choice in that price range, however I'm reluctant
    to put a single action pistol in the hands of a beginner. I think
    that Amale has the safe route in the revolver for his and his
    wife's needs. As a second choice, in this case, I would suggest something in a DA or a SA/DA semi-auto. In this
    price range, the best of the best is available in either of the
    categories. Having experience and this price, the only option
    would be for a .45, but I'm not sure it would fit the needs of the wife. Just my thoughts-
    -ace

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/25/02 8:32:04 am)
    Hi stiver007.....and welcome to TFF.

I've gotta go along with the majority here and recommend a quality M1911 with a .45/.22 conversion unit.

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/25/02 9:26:27 am)
    i'd think that you could get a Kimber and a Ruger II.22 with that kind of money especially if you buy them at the same time.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/25/02 6:36:17 pm)
    Welcome, Stiver007.

For a grand I could do some careful shopping and come up with a nice used S&W .38 special, plus, a nice .45 acp semi-auto pistol.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 5/26/02 4:10:31 pm

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/29/02 9:32:15 pm)
    Buy TWO Ruger P-89's, Spend $100 to get yourself STARTED on mags. Buy a few boxes of ammo, and roll the remaining $150 over into a Smith M36 Chief's Special. At least thats what I did when I was in a similar situation a couple of months ago....

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/30/02 3:26:43 pm)
    Oooo, I definately like the idea of the 45 with 22 conversion.

mashaffer
    (6/8/02 4:56:55 pm)
    Hmm... $1000, first handgun...

Let me first state my biases. I like revolvers better than autos except for those of military or historical interest. I would consider the following.

- Auto will require more study and work to master than a DA revolver. This might be more important for teaching your better half than for you but might be a consideration.

- Fit in your hand will be very important and it will probably be harder to get a good fit for her than for you. If you go autoloader I would suggest that you check the fit in her hand carefully before buying. In a revolver this is less of a problem (except in the really big guns which are not of interest here) because there are many aftermarket grips and adapters of varying sizes available.

- Where are you going to hike. If dangerous animals are a possibility you might want a larger bore (say .41, .44 or .45) rather than a smaller bore (9mm, .38, .357).

- For that budget you could get two guns specializing in various chores. For example in the revolver world it would be hard to do any better for target/teaching/personal defense than a solid vintage K frame (models 10,14,19,66 etc.) of medium barrel length (3-4") in .38 or .357. This would also be good for vermin. For big game you might want a 5-6" .44 Magnum or even a SA Ruger in .45 Colt if you want to handload. You could also get just one 4" barreled .44 Magnum and spend the extra $400-$500 dollars getting it really tricked out.

- Others are probably better at advising on the brass spitters but if you are going to hunt big game with it you are somewhat limited. 10mm probably being the best but ammo is not that common. The desert eagle (.44 or .50AE) are a bit big for a carry gun but they would work for hunting. Also be aware some states don't allow hunting with autoloading pistols. You could get a defensive auto and a hunting revolver and keep it under 1 kilobuck though.

Mike