handguns and the 2nd amendment

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by tdkeesey, Jun 19, 2011.

1. tdkeesey

tdkeesey New Member

I have a question for anyone who can give me some kind of logical answers. I was reading on sites about laws and such about buying ammo for handguns under than 21 and buying handguns under 21. As I understand it you cannot do this for the fact that people under 21 are not trustworthy enough to own handguns? So my issue is that when you turn 18 you have the same rights as every other American so if the government is saying that you cannot buy a handgun or ammo for it is infringing on the second amendment as I understand it. So how can they do that? The people that are buying guns to use them to hurt people are not worried about anything like this because there using them to hurt people anyway.
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hello and welcome. This is an issue. You can go and fight for your country and pay the ultimate sacrifice, but no handgun until your 21. I am sorry. You ask how they can do that? It starts with liberals being in charge, but is not totally their fault. There are some so called conservatives that are just as bad. As far as most gun laws go, the largest percentage of them were written by the liberal machine and they do absolutely nothing to fight or stop crime and hinder law abiding citizens.

It does go directly against the 2nd ammendment. I wish I could help. In the state of florida, a person without a carry permit must wait 3 days to pick up a 22 pistol, but can walk out with an AR-15 and 1000 rounds of ammo right now. Now thats a good law.......only a liberal could think that up.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF TD,

There is a difference between Owning a handgun at 18 and Buying a handgun at 18. Check the applicable state laws in your state on this. Federal laws set the buying requirements on handguns/ammo; do I agree with it; No not fully.
    I think that if you're 18 and want to buy a handgun, you should be able to. I do think there should be requirements for competion of a handgun training course and competency requirements.
    There are pages of discussion on this forum and others about this subject, so I won't draw it out too much. I'll just sum it up to say this : It's not the worst thing to ever happen and it probably won't change in our lifetimes. Best thing to do is read up on your state laws and do what you're able to do to protect yourself as needed.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Federal laws set the buying requirements for handguns from a LICENSED FIREARMS DEALER. At the age of 18, you cannot go down to Joe's Gun Shop and buy a pistol. You can, however (in most states) buy one at a yard sale or a flea market or a gun show. As long as the person you are buying from does not have an FFL, that Federal "21" law does not apply.
  5. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Howdy TD.

Yeah, it's kinda messed up isn't it. You can join the military and get killed, but ya can't buy a handgun or liquor.:rolleyes:

Sadly, we created this mess. You appear to be a youngster, so remember when you vote.

Where I'm at, you can't 'buy' a pistol until you're 21. You can own one at 18.:confused:

Guess what my son got for graduation....
  6. Hatch

Hatch Former Guest

I'll echo those comments from those who already posted...

Keep in mind what is driving and FUNDING the agenda of politicians when you vote.
    Remember that buying a handgun is different than carrying or owning one, this varies state to state.
    Remember that the 2nd Amendment (along with all of the others can be interpreted in various ways) Some people say that if the Supreme Court ruling on the handguns in Wash DC hadnt been about D.C. (instead of... Atlanta lets say, just for arguments sake) that it might have gone the other way, that the reason they were forced to rule that way is because D.C. isnt part of a "state" it's a totally separate jurisdiction and that's why Federal applies instead of state law. But it was obviously a wake up call to the left as well, because even Chicago immediately started changing it's draconian anti gun ownership laws as soon as that decision was handed down by the SCOTUS. They knew if they tried to draw a line in the sand, they'd fight and lose!

Still though, states do own rights to their citizens, and thats why CA and MA are so far out of control that it should bother everyone in every state, because what starts in CA infects the entire nation eventually. (another reason why I think CA should be broken into 3 states, no single state should have the power that CA has, also NY for that matter)