Handloader Magazine article--223 reloads results

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LDBennett, May 11, 2009.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Anyone read the series of recent article by Charles E. Petty in the Handloader Magazine on variations that make a difference to the performance of 223 reloads in a good 223 bolt rifle?

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that the author found case preparation (like primer pocket uniforming and primer hole deburring), mixing case manufacturer's brass in a group, and several other processes based on the benchrest shooting game ammo preparation processes, do little to effect the accuracy of the gun tested. The gun was a premium bolt gun (Cooper Phoenix) and shoots right at 1/2 inch, regardless. Earlier articles in this series covered other aspect of ammo preparation with the same results.

Interesting! I need to re-read the series I think, as it smashes normal concepts that people think make a difference for accurate results in target shooting non-benchrest guns.

Anyone want to comment on the articles?

LDBennett
  2. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Are these posted online anywhere or is it by subscription only?
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I don't really know as I have had a subscription for several decades.

LDBennett
  4. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

It may not make a lot of difference, but it sure makes me feel better. I figure the things listed are like everything else in that you can have twenty people do a test and they will not all come to the same conclusion. I have weighed all my components and come up with the same total weight after loading and it did not make enough difference if any to continue to do so. JMHO like everyone else.