Handloading Start-up Tips?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Sandman, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Sandman

Sandman Member

I used to reload shotgun shells, but have never gotten into handloading for my rifles. I am thinking about it now, though, with the cost and availability issues of ammo these days. I know next to nothing about it, so if some of you can provide some basic start-up tips as to what I will need, costs, and some do's and don't's I would appreciate it. Anything that would help with the go / no go decision.
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

3. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

buy the new lyman and nosler book!!!
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

+1!!!

The reloading hobby is fun and rewarding as much or more to some as shooting. Some of the issues you find with ammo availability carries over to reloaders as well. Primers and powder are in high demand and pretty scarce. Not to say you cannot get them,or offer a discouraging word here but I suggest to a new reloader that you get your books first, read the data of which calibers you will be reloading and backorder the appropriate components. By the time you have made decisions on your equipment and have chalked yourself full of knowlege, your primers and powder should be arriving.

Price is almost a "sky's the limit" situation but $300 on the low end.
  5. myg30

myg30 Member

I started years ago with a lee hand loader for my only hunting rifle.At $18 back then it was a deal. If you shoot lots you will want another type of press. You tube is a good place to get some basic looks at reloading but like said above, READ a good reloading book cover to cover first. Then read again.
    You can find some for sale in the reloading forums from time to time at a reasonable price used. ABC's of reloading,lymans 48th etc all good !

Mike
  6. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

7. Sandman

Sandman Member

Thanks for all of the info guys. I am looking into all of it. I won't be doing a high quantity, so I don't need to go to fancy.
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

A good single stage press or turret press will do you just fine. Keep an eye out in the WTS section and online. A good single stage won't cost much and will serve you for years. I'd go with Lee Classic Cast Single Stage Press or a Rock Chucker; more depends on your budget. Both are solid presses, the chucker has a little more leverage and smoother stroke.