1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

hands black from tumbler

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 38 special, May 7, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

I tumbled some 38 cases in my lyman tumbler. After tumbling the cases I take the cases out of the media 1 at a time,pour out the media inside the case and then wipe off the case with a rag to get the black residue off the case although there usually isnt to much soot adhered to the case.
    Ever time I go thru this, I think there must be a better way. My hands are Black with the "soot"(gunpowder,primer residue) It takes me a long time to get hands clean.
    Is this how youall do the tumbler thing or do you use some sifter or something to dump cases and media into? Or is it just a dirty job and thats that?
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yes, it's normally a very dirty job. I do use a sifter that is made out of and old tupperware colander, but I also keep a box of disposable latex gloves that I bought at Home Depot on my workbench for projects like that. They are cheap and it saves a lot of time on cleanup of the ol' hands. :)

P.S.: They also sell commercial sifters that separates your brass and media for you so that you don't have to touch it, but I'm too cheap.;)
  3. 38 special

38 special New Member

I will getsome latex gloves thats got to be better thanks
  4. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

I use a small tub ie yogert. cut small holes in the base and dip my goods out with that the wife keeps 2 to 4 of them for me.
  5. army mp

army mp Member

I use the colander to separate brass from media, but I also throw clothes dryer sheet in before I tumble. 90% of the dust and dirt sticks to the dryer sheet. And the brass comes out clean.
  6. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

I use the latex gloves, and a colander to sift through the casings and media, I also just bought a new Franklin sifter box the kind that you just turn the handle and it rolls the casings and media around to separate it all, the media falls into a 5 gal. bucket and the clean casings stay in the basket, it looks like it should work real well, but I haven't had time to use it yet, I use a latex glove on my left hand when loading, just to keep the lead off my skin when handling the bullets at least the lead cast ones, with copper there is no need for gloves, and this all works well for me.:)

Regards

tEN wOLVES :):D
  7. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

army mp gave some good advice. I do it too. They will pull a lot of the gunk out of the media. You'll be amazed at how quick the dryer sheets will turn black. Do this a few times now and then. Sure makes the job alot cleaner and extends the life of the media. A sifter pan is a good idea, and makes the job alot quicker.
  8. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

What scent of dryer sheet works best???? Neat idea, I will have to try this. Will it also work in a vibrating polisher versus tumbler?

Old Guy
  9. 38 special

38 special New Member

Awesome information. thanks. i will definitely try this.
  10. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I pour mine into a colander that fits into a larger bowl. I do the "cook's flip" (ever see the Waffle House guy flip eggs) over the bowl. When all the grit is in the bowl, I then pour the cleaned cases into my "need to be resized-deprimed" box. Generally, my hands never touch anything.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have read about the dryer sheet thing before, and still have not tried it, I keep forgetting. I usually just go wash using Tide and it gets the hands squeeky clean!
  12. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I cut up the used dryer sheets into fairly small pieces and tumble them by themselves. About an hour and they are blacker than black. Take em out, put more in. I do it to clean and prolong the media more-so than to keep my hands clean. I seldom have to handle the media either, but it is nice that you don't turn colors when you do get your hands in it. I have noticed that the cheap dryer sheets do not work as good. Snuggle works great, though.
  13. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

Thanks for the tip on the Snuggle dryer sheets.

TW :):D