Hard to pull trigger on Taurus 357

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Popwood, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Popwood

Popwood New Member

We have a brand new Taurus .357 five-shot revolver which we took to the range for the first time this week I don't know the model right now, and the gun is at my son's house.

It is DA only, and the trigger is almost impossible to pull.

Can someone here give me an idea why this might be, and what is needed to remedy it?

Thanks very much in advance.

Popwood and Bigjake
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

it should get easier with use/dry firing. but what it probably really needs a to have the action smoothed.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Many things effect the trigger pull level but a good gunsmith should be able to reduce the pull level significantly. The "lawyers" make the manufacturers include high pull levels to maximize the safety of the gun and minimize the lawsuits against the company. Some gunsmiths will not do trigger jobs anymore but there are some brave one's out there who have good insurance who will. Talk to your dealer ... he probably knows the good ones in your area from the bad ones.

LDBennett
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    My advice is to send it back to Tarus. I don't know of any smiths that will work on them.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Since there are no gunsmiths that will work on Taurus's (????) maybe you will have to do the work yourself.

Most revolvers have good trigger pulls hidden under heavy springs. Often all you have to do is replace the springs to get a more reasonable trigger pull level. There is the hammer spring and the trigger return spring that make up the bulk of the pull level. The leader in the spring industry is WOLFF Springs:

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=3&mID=65

They list a bunch of Taurus models for spring replacement. You can study their site or call them to determine exactly what you need. Any gunsmith would be able to change the springs and you may be able to do it yourself.

Taurus more than likely will say "they are all like that" so don't bother to send it back to them, in my opinion. They have lawyers too.

LDBennett
  6. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Just out of curiosity, what *should* the pull be like on a revolver trigger, DA or SA? One person's 'impossible' could be not bad to another person, after all.
  7. Popwood

Popwood New Member

Thank you all for your responses. They are very helpful. Our first Taurus had a problem with the cylinder, and the dealer sent it it. It didn't come back for several months. The dealer finally gave us a replacement for it. So we're not anxious to send this one in also.

Regarding how heavy the trigger pull should be: it took all the effort I could muster to pull it. I'd bet it is in pounds instead of inches. To be sure, we will all have differing ideas of what trigger pull should be like. However, I honestly think that this one is beyond acceptable limits.

Thanks again for your prompt and helpful responses!

Popwood & Bigjake
  8. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Since the revolver is new did you, by any chance, clean and oil before firing ????

Just wondering.
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

if you're ever in kentucky swing by and i'll smooth the trigger out for you free of charge, wont take more than an hour. all you got to do is take it apart and stone the sides of the trigger return block and hammer and replace the trigger return spring with a lighter one. 14 pounds preferred although i have a 12 pound in my smith 642. do not let anyone change the hammer spring/main spring because with a concealed hammer model you need all the hammer snap you can get
  10. Popwood

Popwood New Member

Clean and oil it? I don't know, since my son had it. I would guess that he didn't. Our bad Thanks

Lives4 - Thanks for the kind offer. Iowa is a bit too far to take you up on it.

Gratefully,

Popwood & Bigjake
  11. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I agree with LD and JL4C. You can improve that Taurus a bit just by some spring replacement (and maybe a little internal polishing). Start with just the trigger return spring. I wouldn't touch the mainspring either because it's really easy to compromise reliability from light strikes if you go with a lighter mainspring.

There are very few smiths that will touch a Taurus because Taurus is very quick to cancel the lifetime warranty on the entire gun if they see that anyone has done any internal tinkering on the gun. Yet I agree with LD on not sending it back to Taurus unless there is something functionally wrong with the gun. A heavy trigger pull doesn't count on there being something wrong with it either unless it's so bad it falls out of Taurus' specs too.
    And if you do re-spring the action, be sure to keep the stock springs. If you ever return the gun to Taurus, they'll pull out those Wolff springs and stuff a set of heavy stock ones in again. No, you won't get em back.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  12. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

You can get the rebound springs as low as 11lbs. but it also depends on the shooter and how light they want it. The lighter isn't always better, its the lightest you can get it and still have the trigger and rebound slide return. To light and it will get stuck on the flats. The rebound can be stoned to take a 11lb spring but you got to know what you doing. If you mess up the rebound slide, you mess up a lot more. Also to note. Replacing the rebound spring with a lighter one will also reduce your single action pull. Not by a lot but enough to make some people feel uncomfortable.
  13. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

depends on the size of there hands really and what they are used to. Average is about 9-12 lbs DA and 3-5 SA but I've seen lower. Ask Josh about his 586 SA weight. Its a hefty 8oz:eek:.Like I said, its what your comfortable with.
  14. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Thanks Helix! I kind of thought that was a reasonable range of pull.
  15. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Helix,
    You're thinking S&W with the rebound slide.
    That's not a feature in the Taurus DA lockworks, it's internals are more like the transfer bar system used in the Colt Trooper/Lawman than the Smith.

It is a bit easier to clean up a Taurus action than the Smith because you don't need to mess around with the rebound slide...you do still need to keep in mind that the trigger return spring has to pull the transfer bar out from between the hammer and firing pin though. A bit of polishing on the hammer face and the transfer bar help quite a bit to slick up that part of the cycle.

My last Taurus (a 669) had around 3lbs for the SA pull. I had it tuned for hunting use so I didn't bother to keep track of the DA pull.
    I don't remember which weight trigger return spring I used in it anymore though, I want to say it was 10lbs but I'm not positive anymore. I kept the stock hammer spring.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010