Harington & Rich. top break rev. supm'nuther?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by fuzebox40, May 12, 2010.

1. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I bought this H & R revolver which has had parts robbed off of it. It's probably not worth much but I like it and intended to make it mechanically complete again. However I don't know what year the gun was made or even what model it is and as I look for parts I'm seeing a monstrosity of classes it may fall under, such as (new/old model, large/small frame automatic/auto ejecting/police auto./premier/unmarked top break, etc.). Though many part numbers match, many slightly vary as well and I cannot find a schematic of the gun anywhere either so I have nothing to compare with. Can anyone help me as to the specifics of this gun and what is it labeled as as far as part suppliers are concerned?
    Here's what I do know: s.n. under grip plate 95085, the H & R name and address on top of barrel with 5 pat. dates - Pat. Oct. 4.87. May 14 & Aug. 6.89. April 2.95. April 7.1896. No markings on side of barrel. Number under top strap is E95095 and barrel catch has spring loaded plunger to release cylinder for removal. 5 shot .38 cal dbl post top-break w/4" barrel and flat main spring. That about covers all I can think to say. Here are some pics to tell the rest. A super attitude of gratitude for any help on this.
    Any possibility of other manufacturers of the same weapon? Not to stereotype but they all look alike to me so just curious.

Attached Files:

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a H&R Auto-Ejecting large frame revolver. to be precise it is a second model 5th variation manufactured in 1901 (serial number E95058). numrich arms has a parts listing in their catalog and may also have a schmetic on-line. you need to read the information they have in their catalog about ordering parts as there are many variations of this model and to restore properly you need the correct parts. the 5th variation was manufatured when H&R was trying to come up with a top break revolver that would sell. even after the third model was introduced in 1905 changes were still being made.
    bill
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  3. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Many thanks Bill. I can't say enough about TFF and you who make it so !
    Terry
  4. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

One quick question. Is this considered new or old model? Numrich's vocabulary.
    Thanks Terry
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

in numrich's vocabulary this is an old model.
    bill