Harrington and richardson help

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Old Wheelgun, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Old Wheelgun

Old Wheelgun New Member

Hello, This past Friday I purchased a Harrington and Richardson (H&R) revolver. It is a 922 model and it's a 9 shot single and double action revolver 6 inch barrel and came with a black holster. I happened to be in my local hardware store after work on Friday at the firearms counter when an older gentleman brought the gun in to be appraised. The store owner who runs the firearms counter only offered him $85.00 for the gun. The man selling the gun wanted at least $100.00 for it. He was down on money and needed some money to help him out during these tough economic times. I was there at the counter browsing and asked the gentleman if I could look at his revolver. He told me all about it and said that it belonged to his father. He actually bought it brand new from the same hardware store but doesn't remember when he bought it. The same store was established in 1870 and is still operating. He also said that the holster the gun was in came with it when it was purchased by his father. After looking the gun over, I offered to pay what he wanted for it and he agreed. He wanted $100.00 but I gave him $120.00 instead since the gun is 100% new I think. He also mentioned that his father hardly used the gun and he doesn't recall him ever shooting it. The man received the gun when his father passed away and said that he never fired it. He cleaned and wiped it down and just kept it wrapped up in a cloth and kept it in a drawer along with the holster at his house. To start off describing the gun, on the left side of the barrel, it's marked H&R ARMS COMPANY WORCESTER, MASS, U.S.A. (H&R) 922. On the cylinder its marked PAT 1904. It has the large brown checkered grips and they are also marked H&R with a circle around it. It has a brass round sight at the end of the barrel. The serial number starts off with the letter J and underneath the grip it's marked M on one side of the grip frame. It also has a flat mainspring and the hammer has also aged to a nice brown patina. On top of the frame it has a notch for the sight. I shot the gun for the first time with some regular Remington 22 long rifle round nose bullets and it preformed flawlessly. It made a nice tight group at 20 foot paces. Im trying to find out how old the gun is, what year it was made, and if will also shoot 22 short and long cartridges as well. The gentleman said he also has the original box to the gun with everything inside and said he would stop by my house and drop it off when he finds it. To me, this was an excellent find. Not everyday you see an older 22 revolver in this good of shape. If anyone can give me any information on the gun, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You, Bill

Attached Files:

2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

922 is a fine revolver; I've shot one at least a couple hundred times this year. the guy didn't try to lowball him too bad, $85 was a reasonable offer for someone who had to resell and try to make a profit. If it was unfired and in exc condition, I'd put value at about $160 give or take. They're great plinking guns and not expensive for the quality that you get. Mr Goforth will probably be able to put a better value to it. Either way, I'd have to say that you did a good deed and you got a good gun.

Semper Fi,

Woolley
  3. pmeisel

pmeisel New Member

Very nice looking revolver!
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i had a 922 for a while, mine was a later production than yours. the grips you have i think were special order although im not sure. a friend of mine has a set of original plastic grips that fit a 922 and others that he took off when he bought the gun and replaced with jay scott grips. he asked me to try to sell the original grips for him. 20 dollars, aint found anyone yet, they are in perfect condition, and i mean not a scratch or dull edge.
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

This piece was made in 1949, it is a 1st Model 6th Variation (Bill G's designation). The "patina" on the hammer detracts a bit from overall condition, but can be removed using a light hand buffing with "FLITZ" or equivalent paste polish (I've done this on several dozen) bringing it back to near the original "in the white" condition. Value, based upon ~95% condition is around $150 +/- $25; with box add another $35. You purchased a good shooting gun at a very good price. Enjoy it.
    Jim Hauff
    H&R Collector
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

MODEL 922 DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL
    LARGE SOLID FRAME 22 RIMFIRE CALIBER ------------------------1927-1952
    9 shot cylinder capacity, pull pin cylinder release, blue finish, 6 inch octagon barrel, two piece over size walnut grips saw handle shaped, marked with company name and address on top of barrel, right side of barrel H&R 922 and caliber on left side of barrel.
    First Variation 1927-1930 serial number range 119600*-145000*(estimate)
    Second Variation 1931 DIFFERENCE: new grip shape (saw handle shape eliminated) serial number range 145000*-160000*(estimate)
    Third Variation 1932-1937 DIFFERENCE: new safety cylinder, serial number range 160000*-171000*(estimate)
    Fourth Variation 1938-1939 DIFFERENCE; new grip frame and round barrel, serial number range 171000*-192000*(estimate)
    Fifth Variation 1940- 1947 DIFFERENCE; same as 4th variation except letter code prefix to serial number A thru H
    Sixth Variation 1948-1949 DIFFERENCE; a new barrel length, serial number letter codes I and J
    Seventh Variation 1949-1952 DIFFERENCE; all-in-one cartridge extraction system, serial number letter codes J thru M
    Eight Variation 1952 models for M922 Camper and M922 Bantam weight (see post 1953 models)
    VALUE: 100%=$195 60%=$55 add 40% premium for 1st Variation and 20% premium for 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th Variations

M=1949

if he ever does drop off the box and all the paper work it would increase the value by about 10%.
    bill
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  7. Old Wheelgun

Old Wheelgun New Member

Thank you. It is a fine piece and shoots really good. I took it out again today and shot 16 more shots through it. Loaded the cylinder 2 times with only 8 rounds and lay the hammer down on the empty chamber just like the original colt single action I learned on. Overall I can't complain one bit about it. It shoots to the point of aim every time. A man at the range today offered to buy it off me because he collects H&Rs but I had to turn him down. It's too nice to sell. Thank you and happy shooting to you
  8. Old Wheelgun

Old Wheelgun New Member

thank you. It is a very nice shooting piece.
  9. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Very nice looking. Somebody kept good care of it. I don't know why H&R's don't get more respect, seems like everybody has one. I keep all my cylinders loaded :cool:. TJ