Harrington and Richardson Revolver help

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Old Wheelgun, Nov 25, 2010.

1. drgraham

drgraham New Member

The only two H&R All American DA models in 44 I have ever seent, I bought. One works perfectly. The other has a problem I need help with. After pulling the trigger, it stays back and will not return. Don't know what I need to do here but Gun Parts has no trigger return springs. Please email me at dr.graham@live.com THANKS
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

drgraham,
    Welcome to the forum. The H&R AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION revolvers chambered for .44 Webley and .44 American Bulldog cartridges are built on what collectors call the "extra large frame" - which is dimensionally larger than the frame used for the .32 and .38 loadings. Most were made during the black powder era (for H&R that ended in 1904) although production seems to have continued on to around 1920-21.
    I've not had one apart - but I BELIEVE that the innerds for the standard LARGE frame AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION should fit this XL frame .44 cal. ???? This, at least to me is an open question.
    Try Jack First gun parts at: www.jackfirstgun.com - if what I read on the forums is correct they should have the trigger return spring - you might want to enquire of those folks if the internal parts for the standard frame will fit/work in the XL frame. I, for one, would be interested in hearing about the interchangability - as I have never seen this question come up before. The XL .44s are somewhat obscure and aren't seen very often. I only have several of them, all pre - 1905, all though I've seen pics of some post 1905 smokeless capable pieces with the cartridge stamping on the left barrel flat. All the .44s I've seen have a hinged loading gate on the right side of the frame.
    For those who haven't seen one of these, here's a couple pics:

IMG_0867_2.jpg

IMG_0871_2.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0890_2.jpg
  3. DRIZ10225

DRIZ10225 New Member

4. DRIZ10225

DRIZ10225 New Member

ALLEN WHEELOCK 1861 PARTS HELP

I have an Allen Wheelock 36 cal. navy revolver 1861 one of five hundred made. I am looking for the cylinder rod, anyone out there thaat can help would be appreciated.
    MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS DRIZ10225@HOTMAIL.COM.
    Thanks for your time. Dan
  5. Crippled Eagle

Crippled Eagle New Member

Hello All
    Sure am glad I found this forum! Seems as if there is a huge amount of knowledge here.
    I'd like help please with IDing a Harrington and Richardson revolver. It has a bit over a 3" barrel, it says on the left side of the barrel: 32 S.&W. CTGE.. On the top of the barrel it states Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. Worcester, Mass. U.S.A. No patent dates. This is a hammerless break top 6 shot revolver. It appears it was nickle plated with a blued trigger guard. There is on the front strap of the gun the numbers 193001. I am unsure how to remove the cylinder to check for that number so any guidance in that area is welcomed. This has the target on the grips and a "sunflower" like raised area around the screw for the grips. On the cylinder are stamped the numbers 193 001 I have no ability right now to take pictures our I would post some. Seems the digital camera has sprouted legs.
    I am sure there are many on here that can ID this and I thank you in advance for your efforts!
    Regards
    Marvin
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

This thread is well over a year old, and Jim Hauff is ill at this time.

I suggest Dan and Marvin open new threads on their respective questions and include some pictures.

Briefly, I know of no source for A&W parts; it should be possible to have that cylinder pin made, but time would be required to study just what it looks like, so it might be expensive.

H&R made many models in .32 S&W caliber. Pictures might help identify that one, but it sounds like a fairly low value gun.

Jim