Harrington and Richardson Top Break Revolver .32

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by quickdrawkm, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Boe

Boe New Member

Jim,
    Thank you for the information. I'll try to make contact with Stoney Chimney for the spring. Boe
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Boe,
    You're welcome, glad to help out. Thanks for thanking.
  3. nturavrgcop

nturavrgcop New Member

Thank you sir for the info. Interesting piece, currently residing in the gun safe but will have to research finding ammo if possible.
  4. SB7

SB7 New Member

Mr. Jim Hauff,

I just joined this forum and wondered if would please help me in finding the date and information on this Harrington and Richardson .32 top break revolver. My father passed away last year and he gave me the revolver that was my grandfather's.

The dates on top are Oct 4 87 Apr 2 95 Apr 7 96
    The serial number on the bottom of the grip looks like 222626, the first number doesn't look like it was either engraved deep enough or actually it looks like it could be a real small A. The grips are black.

I'm not certain how to post pictures yet, but I will try later.

Thank you for your time and assistance, and anything you could tell me about this revolver.

Thanks again,
    Steve
  5. montezumaz

montezumaz Former Guest

Jim Hauff,
    I was able to purchase a nice little H&R .32 Top-break from a private party at a gun show in Flagstaff AZ. The only information the seller was able to provide me was that it was a .32 and he thought it was a Model 2 manufactured in 1904. However, I take that information with a grain of salt and would ask your superior knowledge as to what this firearm is.

Grips: Black (Bakelite?) with a "5 shot" target logo
    Barrel/Front sight: 3" nickel, "HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS COMPANY"
    "WORCESTER MASS U.S.A. PAT OCT 4'87 APR 2'95 APR 7'96"
    Cylinder: 5 shot, 7/8"+, nickel, "719"
    Frame: Nickel; Screws: Fine
    Trigger, Guard, Hammer and Rear sight: Blued (actually black)
    Condition: 95-98%
    S/N: 5719
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  6. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

Jim Hauff has some significant health problems and has not posted in this forum for a number of months. We hope he will be back, but we don't know when that might be. You might want to start new threads with your questions. Although Jim was the expert, others here can give you information too.

BTW, montezumaz, the grips on your pistol are made of hard rubber rather than Bakelite. Hard rubber was nearly universal for pistol grips in America at that time. Bakelite never really saw much use as a grip material, especially in the USA.
  7. montezumaz

montezumaz Former Guest

Jim is back! :cool: Bac to the top.
  8. lorencc

lorencc New Member

Turns out I have one too... I doesn't match any of the others in this thread, so perhaps someone can help me ID it...

Nickel plated, a bit nicked from use but plating still pretty much ok.

6 shots, .32 cal (cylinder holes measure .33"), short cylinder.

Stamped into the top of the 3-1/4" barrel is "HARRINGTON&RICHARDSON, WORCESTER,MASS.U.S.A." all in one line.

No other markings on the outside.

Serial # 4027 stamped on frame under grips and on underside of top above cylinder.

Dry fires just fine. Never shot it and was strongly advised not to.

My grandfather got it from a Pinkerton railway cop.
  9. radar747

radar747 New Member

My father just found this gun and we are wondering what we have. I did my best to look through the threads, but just became more lost. The serial number is 20090 (all three numbers match)and we are pretty sure that is is a 38 s&w five shot. The is no stamp on the side and the bluing is pretty perfect. It seems like it is as near perfect for an older gun then anyone could ask. Pictures are posted. Thanks, mike

Attached Files:

10. radar747

radar747 New Member

Sorry, here are the other images.

Attached Files:

11. radar747

radar747 New Member

One last pic

Attached Files:

12. TemujinKhan

TemujinKhan New Member

Ok..., I have a six shot Top Break 32 Harrington Richardson - Says on the Barrel

HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS COMPANY
    WORCESTER MASS U.S.A PAT OCT. 4. 87.
    & AUG. 6. 89. APRIL. 2. 95.
    APRIL 7th 1896

I Just Ordered

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1356270B.htm - This Trigger Guard

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/219590.htm#219590F - This Lever & spring assembly

Made my Own Mainspring which seems Better then the replacements available...

Now I ordered some Trigger Return springs, this thing has been broken for years, it started with the Trigger Return spring breaking...

& I ordered what was my best guess at a replacement

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/pub/ProductImage/267160.jpg which looks something like this..., Now In Attempting to make this thing which Looks like it would never fit , trying to force it into place I broke my trigger guard, & lost the spring for the lever assembly.., since then it's been pieces in a bag because for Years I never could find anywhere that had the trigger guard..., Well now I just ordered the parts I need but I still can't believe I have the correct trigger return spring..

Here's some springs..., what should I get..., The one I have now..., it just doesn't look right seems too big, I don't see how I can fit it in place..., or I can't imagine how to put it in right .., Basically at the moment I've spent my last dime trying to get this thing to work.., if I have to I'll try to make my own trigger return spring.., unless I can find the Right one.., I mean if I have to improvise.., or Whatever..., I just want the thing to work..., I'm Broke, & This is the Only Handgun I still have & it's in pieces..., I've got a really nice leather holster for it..., the pistol looks it's age, but it fired fine regularly I put probably 150 rds through it & dry fired it stupidly years ago a bunch of times until the trigger return spring finally broke.., been waiting something like 4 years to find a trigger guard in stock, & now that One which I hope will be the right one is on it's way..., I just wanna know What the right Trigger return spring is & how to put it in.., I think I have a fair idea how to put it in, but if I'm right then the trigger return spring I have isn't the right one..

I realize that the parts IMO I don't know but appear to not be correctly listed...

How about the one listed as

OM SMALL FRAME POLICE PREMIER, PREMIER, UNMARKED, UNMARKED TOP BREAK

268290G

Would This one be the right one.., I'm thinking of ordering this next because I don't know what else to try.., the spring I have doesn't seem right..., but I'll try anything to get it to finally work again
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  13. TemujinKhan

TemujinKhan New Member

Well, Fixed now..., No thanks to any of the parts I ordered...., although the guard pins were nice before I lost them..., anyways Finally just took the initiative to improvise..., made my own mainspring already so ..., went & got the Original trigger guard Welded together..., made my own trigger return spring & Lever assembly spring.. & Tada..., fixed..., I'm gonna return the mis shapen trigger guard I ordered & get em to hopefully send me some guard pins & trigger pin.., & try to find nicer looking grips somewhere... :patriotic: