Harrington & Richards Top Break

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rondevries, Jun 17, 2011.

1. rondevries

rondevries New Member

I am new at this so please bare with me. I do not know the model, the caliber, type of bullets to be used,when the pistol was manufactured,
    and its current value. Thanking you advance for your information.

The pistol is a H & R Top Break with the following inscribed on the top of the barrel: Harrington & Richardson Arms Company, Worchester, Mass. USA
    Pat Oct 4, 87, May 14 & Aug 6, '89, April 2, '95, April 7,1896

The Serial number on the bottom of the top strap is either an E or a F 20597.

No markings on the cyclinder. 4 inch barrel.

The black handle has a cresent with "F & W" in fancy lettering above and partially surrounding a patriotic emblem with stars on the top third and downward stripes on the lower two-thirds.

Thanks again for your expertise!!
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

ron,
    Welcome to the forum.
    From your description and the top barrel rib inscription:
    You have a 2nd Model (1890 - 1904) "AUTOMATIC EJECTING" 5th Variation (1897-1904); made to use Black Powder cartridges, only. If it is a 6 shooter, it was chambered for .32 S&W and .32 H&R Long. If it is a 5 shooter, it was chambered for .38 S&W. As to the serial number prefix: 'E' would be either 1900 or 1901; 'F' would be 1902 or 1903. Since the number part is in the 20K range - I'd be willing to bet that the letter is an 'E'...???
    Standard issue for this Model is: Nickel plated, 3 1/4" barrel, black, hard rubber grip panels with molded in H&R "Target with holes" logo. Options include: blued finish; 2 1/2", 4, 5, 6" barrels; checkered Walnut, mother-of-pearl or Ivory grip panels.
    Current RETAIL values: 100%/NIB (there are still some out there) $225; 95% - $170; 90% - $140; 80% $100-$125 and so on down to $25 for a parts gun. Blue finish is worth a 15% premium; 2 1/2" barrel (rare) 75% premium; 25% premium for 4, 5 or 6" barrel. Without pics or a full description of the condition - your piece will fall somewhere in the above RETAIL values guide lines.
    Your piece has non-original grip panels (sounds like FOREHAND & WADSWORTH panels), which will detract somewhat from the overall value, but the 4" barrel is a plus. Since your piece is a BLACK POWDER - ONLY capable gun, it has, primarily, collector interest and value.
    NOTE: the variation number on the photo is not correct - it was changed by later research to be Variation 5.
    IMG_1822_4.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  3. lubelizard

lubelizard New Member

Wrong thread.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  4. rondevries

rondevries New Member

Mr. Hauff,

Your information was exactly what I needed!!

Thank you very much!!!

Ron
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Ron,
    You're very welcome, glad to help out. AND, thanks for thanking

Mr. Hauff