The Firearms Forum banner

Harrington & Richardson .32 break action

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 ·
Hi all. Here's the story...I have an H&R .32 top break pistol that my grandfather imparted to me before he passed away. I remember hearing a story about this pistol when I was younger. He said that this particular pistol belonged to the chief of police in Chicago (who was a friend of his) back in the 1930's. His friend gave this to him as a gift before my grandfather moved back West.
The stamp on the top of the barrel reads "Harrington & Richardson Arms Company Worcester, Mass. USA pat'd Oct. 4, 1887." Now that doesn't seem to be all that unique given some of the posts I've read here. However, the stamp on the cylinder and ejector have the number '64' stamped on them. My grandfather had mentioned (when I asked him) that this number represented the 64th pistol produced of this model. Could that be accurate? Does anyone know how I could verify this? Thanks for any input you may have.

Vet's son

#3 ·
If you take out the cylinder, the full serial number can be seen under the top strap. Another location for the serail number is on the frame under the grip, but this might not be the full serial number. While it's possible that you have the 64th revolver made, it's also possible that they did not use the full number when numbering the cylinder and ejector, it was not uncommon to use only the last two or three digits of the full number on subunits.

It would be a good idea to post some images of your revolver if you want to know more.

#5 ·
I pulled the cylinder and looked under the top strap and it has the same '64' number there. I'll post some photos today. Thanks for the reply. I was bummed to read "RIP" regarding Mr. Goforth, Hauff, and Ritchie. I'm grateful for the legacy they left behind...

#7 ·
We can try this...

How many chambers does the gun have? 5 or 6?
Does the gun have an external hammer? And if so, is it bobbed?(the spur missing)
How long is the barrel?
Does the barrel have the caliber stamped on the left side?
What finish does the receiver and barrel have?
What finish does the trigger guard have?
Do the grips have a target emblem on them or do they have a floral pattern?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.