Harrington & Richardson .410

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by joe_helton, Mar 9, 2006.

1. joe_helton

joe_helton New Member

hey guys ive got a H&R .410 and i need some help finding out how much its worth and well anything else you can tell me. Hopefully someone will know something because I called the company and they couldnt tell me anything about it because it was made by the old H&R that went bankrupt
    Below is what it says on side of gun:
    Deluxe Topper Model 188
    Harrington & Richardson, INC
    U

Bottom Side:
    N218

Top of Barrel:
    .410 Gauge-P
    Full Choke

The butt and forearm have some wear, at the grip there are two holes that had been plugged with likewise wood, blueing on barrel is from what i can tell perfect(but im not an expert lol)
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

This probaly wont help you much but I bought a New England/H&R .22/.410 with both barrels new for $200 Their not expensive gun but they are good and accurate
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Joe.....welcome to TFF. :)

Well, the Topper was a pretty inexpensive shotgun when new, and hasn't generated any collector interest, so it's not worth a great deal, used.

According to the Standard Catalog of Firearms, it's value is:

Exc. - $145
    V.G. - $95
    Good - $75
  4. joe_helton

joe_helton New Member

thanks xracer...although thats not what i was wanting to hear, like everyone I was hoping I was sitting on a gold mine lol, you wouldnt know how old it is would ya?
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

joe,
    the model 188 topper was manufactured between 1957 and 1961. the letter code "U" on the frame indicates 1958 as the year of manufacture. the number on the bottom of the frame (is it on the tang behind the trigger guard?) is a little baffling as h&r shotguns from this era usually did not have serial numbers. the model 188 is the deluxe version of the model 48. a 1959 catalog lists it as having a blued barrel, chrome frame and butt-stock of either red, yellow or ebony finish at $34.50 while the standard model 48 cost $30.50.
    bill
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Sorry about the gold mine joe, or the "lack" of one.

First off, I admit it, I’m cheap when it comes to buying “some” firearms.
    I usually pick up these kinds of shotguns, somewhere between $25-50. (not always the best condition, but functional) Of course, I just turn around and give them to kids that are just starting out with shotguns, who don’t have one.
  7. joe_helton

joe_helton New Member

b.goforth,
    its in front of the trigger guard, im guessing its the production number
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

joe,
    thanks for the additional information, that is not the normal location of H&R serial numbers. its purpose is unknown to me, but i am going to make a note of it in my H&R research data.
    bill
  9. joe_helton

joe_helton New Member

finally got cam to working here is a few pics, sorry about quality

Attached Files:

10. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

joe,
    this is the first time i have seen numbers in this location on H&R single barrel shotguns. since the wood is not finished like the catalog description i wonder if they could be for some kind of factory refinish or replacement. this is interesting information thanks.
    bill
  11. joe_helton

joe_helton New Member

pic of grip

Attached Files:

12. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

joe,
    i do not believe the factiory would have repaired the stock, they would have simply replaced it.
    bill
  13. USAF Long

USAF Long New Member

I found this thread while searching, so I figured I'd ask as an additiion to this thread rather than start a new one since this is similarly related.

I have a hand me down shot gun that's been in my family for a long time. It's a Harrington & Richardson Inc. Deluxe Topper 488. Under the Harrington and Richardson Inc. engraving on the rifle, is a small T. The barrel says 410 Gauge ~P Full Choke, just like the shotgun pictured above. Mine has a black stock and chrome frame. The shoulder pad is a brown-red color with the H&R Arms Co. logo on it.

I am wondering what year it was made, what is was originally worth, and what it may be worth if I was to list it for sale.

The gun is in good shape, but I plan to spend a few bucks on supplies to restore it. I want to repaint it gloss black, polish the chrome, and the barrel needs to be lightly sanded and oiled as there is just a tad of surface rust starting to form since it's been stored in a garage until I got it recently. Also I'm debating replacing the shoulder pad if I can find a new one, or trying to make this one black, but I'm tempted to keep it original if the gun is worth anything.

I fired this thing a bunch when I was a young teen and now it was found again and passed down to me officially.

I've heard you can fire .45 Colt rounds from it? Can you fire them from a full choke barrel? Any info on where I could get a barrel without a choke? Can you fire slugs from a full choke (I didn't think so)? I plan to use this rifle for shooting clay pigeons on the range as it's a bit more of a challenge than a 12 ga. and since I'm an accurate shooter I'd like a bit of a challenge compared to my friends who fire off 12 ga. shotguns. Also my wife is scared to death of guns and I thought this might be a way to let her learn to fire them and not get knocked on her ass.

Barrel measurement is 27 3/4 inches, entire rifle is 43 inches long from tip of barrel to the back of the shoulder pad. Shoulder pad is 5/8 inch thick. There is no serial number anywhere on the weapon.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  14. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

scott,
    H&r use the "T" letter code in 1957.

please do not try to fire a 45 long colt catridge in this gun. the current models that are chambered for the 45LC/410 are actually 45LC chambered rifles. and are built to withstand the extra pressures generated by this pistol/rifle cartridge. the older 410 shotguns do not have the strength to handle the pressures generated by the 45LC cartridge. the bores are actually .410 and that is a big problem for a 45 caliber bullet.

the 410 bore full choke guns should be able to handle a 410 slug as they are slightly undersized but a cylinder bore would be better.
    bill
  15. USAF Long

USAF Long New Member

Thanks. Guess this gun is pretty old! I'll take care of it. I only plan to fire .410 birdshot shells out of it, but I was just wondering because I heard someone talking about the .45 rounds.

Do you happen to know if I can get a slug barrel for a new topper series 410 and if it would work? The newere rifles look so similar to mine.
  16. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

none of the new H&R1871/Marlin/Reminngton barrels will interchange with any of the original H&R shotguns manufactured before 1986.
    bill
  17. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi USAF Long......welcome to TFF. :)

The bore diameter of your .410 is actually .410.

The bullet diameter of the .45 (long) Colt is .454.

Can you say KABOOM? :D:D:D
  18. bigguns

bigguns New Member

i just recently got a Harrington & Richardson model 148 .410
    i am trying to figure out the length of it please email me at zlafosse12@hotmail.com with info
    thanks
  19. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the model 148 was manufactured between 1957 and 1961. the 410 version weighed 5 1/8 pounds, barrel length of 28 inches with a full choke and over all length was 43 inches.
    bill
  20. Hix

Hix New Member

The Harrington & Richardson .410 shotguns made for Sears as J.C. Higgins are inexpensive shotguns. They are, however, very functional and fun to shoot.

Do NOT try to fire a .45 out of it. You'll hurt yourself and the gun.
    I have fired slugs out of mine and they are lots of fun.

If either of you guys are interested in getting rid of your .410, let me know.
    I might be intereseted in picking them up. The one I purchased came from a flea market. 'Sears' is certainly not a collector's brand - but they are fun shotguns.

If you're thinking about selling, let me know what you want at ryanhixenbaugh@msn.com

Have fun!
    Ryan