Harrington Richardson 5 shot 32 spur triger break top

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by bob.arens37, Apr 5, 2012.

1. bob.arens37

bob.arens37 New Member

Harrington Richardson 5 shot 32 spur triger

I'm hunting for photos (with intent to buy) of a Harrington Richardson 5 shot 32 single action spur trigger white pearl handle engraved nickel-plated hand gun with a 4-5 inch barrel that would have been manufactured prior to 1908.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

bob.arens37,
    Welcome to the forum. As a long time collector and researcher of H&R firearms, I've NEVER heard nor seen an H&R firearms that matches that description. There are/were some S&W top hinged, spur trigger revolvers that are similar.
    Do you have a reference source or pictures of what you are describing? If so, I'm sure that I as well as others would enjoy seeing what you have in mind.
  3. bob.arens37

bob.arens37 New Member

Re: Harrington Richardson 5 shot 32 spur triger

I made a mistake, it was not hinged. You had to remove the cylinder pin and remove the cylinder in order to reload.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I'm finally stumped on this one.
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Flayderman's shows the last spur trigger revolver made by H&R was the 1878 Saw handle Frame or H&R also called it the New Design Model of 1878, 5 shot .32 rim fire but with a 3 1/2 inch barrel. Nickle plating would be common, pearl and engraving ( more than likely the punch dot type ) would be factory special order. If Gentleman Jim doesn't have one in his collection or photos, then you might very well be SOL. Sorry about that.
  6. bob.arens37

bob.arens37 New Member

7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

bob.arens37,
    Now I'm not stumped anymore - that certainly isn't a 4 or 5" barrel - that's what threw me for a loopy-de-loop.
    Here's a pic of a 98% example with original box. No engraving and definitely not for sale in the 250 to 300 range.
    Then there's a smattering of other H&R made spur trigger pieces - just so my friend RJay doesn't lose faith in me. :D

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_0649_3.jpg
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Good Golly, Miss Molly, The top three have cylinder ring marking , so they have been dry fired, but other wise they do look unfired and unhanded, Do you perhaps have a time machine???
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

RJay,
    You mentioned "punch dot" engraving method (crude, yep.) Here's an example of one.

IMG_0646.jpg

ALSO - just to prove how dedicated to TARGET shooting H&R was back in the 1870s, here a pic of what I believe to be one of their first DEDICATED target guns.

IMG_4619_2.jpg

IMG_4621.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  10. bob.arens37

bob.arens37 New Member

How did you aquire the SN1044? Is it for sale? Do you know if it came from Illinois?

And, how can I set up my account so that I get email notice of these messages about this thread?
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I bet there is a story behind your quest, want to share it with us?
  12. bob.arens37

bob.arens37 New Member

RJay and Jim,

You're dead on. I have yet to get permission to excavate the site, but, I believe that my grandfather's adoptive father killed my grandfather's birth father in about 1905 with this gun and buried his body in the grove of the farm where I was born and raised. This gun laid on an upper shelf in our kitchen until about 1953. (The same year that the killer died of natural causes) We had used it to kill pigs and cattle for butchering. It became difficult to get the rim fire cartridges so Dad traded it to an Illinoin State Trooper for a .32 center fire more modern gun. That trooper does not "remember" anything about this old gun. Our family sold that farm in 1956 to its current owners. If I ever do dig and find the slug, I'd like to do a 'cold case' balistics test.
  13. bob.arens37

bob.arens37 New Member

You guys have been great helping me with my 'gun hunt'. But, I'd rather communicate via email. Is that OK? My email is bob.arens37@gmail.com
  14. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

bob,
    s/n 1044 was acquired about 5 years ago from an on-line auction site. I do not remember where it came from - without digging through hundreds of purchase records - I'd be hard put to find it.
    One thing to remember - at the time those guns were made, H&R (as well as other manufacturer's) "batch" number their handguns. That is they would run the "s/n" up to a certain number, maybe 9999, then start over at 01 or 1.
    The story is certainly interesting. The piece is not for sale - it is an antique, officially. I don't really know where to go from here.?????