Harrington&Richardson and US Revolver Co

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by lubelizard, Jun 14, 2011.

1. lubelizard

lubelizard New Member

I have 2 break top revolvers handed down from family members.

One is a Harrington&Richardson .32, serial 265030, and the case ejector star pops up and snaps back when hinged over all the way.

The second is a chrome US Revolver Co, serial 32025, case ejector pops up and automatically snaps back when hinged all the way over that needs some work. I was given a small jar with the parts for it, and one of the pieces looks like a flat spring that was fractured. The revolver will cycle, but the trigger has to be manually reset. Some of the chrome has peeled off as well. There is no caliber marking on it, but it appears to be larger than .32.

The Harrington IMO appears to be in very good shape, just a few specks of rust started on the right side. The US Revolver, well, you can see it.

I'd like to know their histories, if they're worth refurbishing, and what they may be worth. I have no intention of selling them. I am going to pass them on just like they were passed on to me.

Thank you for your assistance.

Attached Files:

2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

The H&R is a SMALL FRAME HAMMERLESS 2ND MODEL, smokeless powder, maybe 1st Variation (1905-06) with that serial number - and if the top of the barrel rib is marked as in the following picture. If dates are different, let me know what they are.
    Blue finish is scarce for this model and variation, 3" barrel is standard as are the black, hard rubber, molded grip panels.

IMG_2041_2.jpg
  3. lubelizard

lubelizard New Member

Yes, the information on the Harrington is on the top strap. It says Harrington&Richardson Arms Co, Worcester, Massachusettes USA. The caliber is marked on the left side, .32 SW. I don't see a date or patent info anywhere on it.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  4. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

The H&R looks to be refinished, even looks like some finger prints in there?
    The US Revolver is either a .32 s&w or .38 s&w (the little short ones). Either way the serial # dates it at 1912. It looks good for going on 100 next year.
    The flat spring your refering to (if about 1/4" wide 1" long) would be the trigger spring. It's flat in that gun with a small bend in it. It has a small hole in one end. The trigger gaurd screw passes through that hole and the spring is sandwitched between the frame and trigger gaurd. The other end sets in the upper of the two notches in the trigger. I have that spring by the way.
    The pin that holds the rear of the gaurd in place also secures the sear. If you should have any grief with reassembly I'd be hapy to walk you through it.
    Sorry to say it isn't worth much, maybe a couple hundred up and running in nice condition.
  5. lubelizard

lubelizard New Member

I didn't wipe them down before taking the photos, just took them from the lock box, manhandled them a bit to show the wife, and took the photos. I did see such a piece of metal with the hole in it. I'm going to take it to a gunsmith to reassemble rather than mess with it myself. The H&R is definitely not refinished. It went from my great-aunt to my father to me. I never knew he had it until he showed me one day and told me where it came from and gave it to me.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

lube,
    I'm a bit confused on the H&R - is there NO patent dates on the barrel rib? Would you measure the length of the barrel - from the front face of the cylinder to the muzzle?
  7. lubelizard

lubelizard New Member

Correct, no dates anywhere I can see. I can photograph them further if that would be helpful. I never removed the grips, so I don't know what's behind them.
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

lube,
    I concur with you that the H&R has not been refinished - it looks like several examples I have in my collection.
    As to serial number, the "real" serial number will be found under the top strap and the cylinder must be removed to see it. The should also be a capital 'H' stamped under there also. Lift the barrel latch and holding it open - the cylinder should either pull right off or will need to be turned about 3 turns counter-clockwise to remove. Reinstall - opposite - but make sure you keep the latch held upward or it will "engrave" the cylinder with a bunch of lines.
    The lack of a date on the barrel rib is "curious" assuming the barrel is 3" long - is it? The serial number cited doesn't fit with the rest of the series - check the attached pics - does your's look like this:

IMG_2059_2.jpg

or this:

IMG_2001_2.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  9. lubelizard

lubelizard New Member

The top strap looks like the second photo. I'll remove the cylinder and see what's underneath. BTW, there's a "30" stamped on the cylinder face and the star ejector.

Thanks again for the help. I feel appreciative I own a piece of history.

I removed the cylinder. I had to hold the clasp up and rotate counter clockwise. The serial number behind the cylinder had an "H" before the serial number stated above. Including the forcing cone, the barrel is spot on 3" based on a tape measure. The serial number behind the grips is also the same. I am impressed with the condition behind the grips. Only a few rust specks dot the surface of it inside and out.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

lube,
    Thanks for the follow-up and clarification - all that info helps with research BTW.
    You HAVE a SMALL FRAME HAMMERLESS 2nd Model 6th Variation made between 1916-1924. Can't get any closer with the year of manufacture for the simple reason that this model has the most screwed up serialization of any of the H&R firearms. As I said before - the 3" barrel is standard but the "blued" finish is scarce. Current RETAIL values for this model, of course, depend upon condition: 100%/NIB $260 +/-$20; 95% - $200; 90% $160 and on down. These are AVERAGE National RETAIL values. Blued finish adds 10% premium. Standard issue for this model: 3" barrel, Nickel plated finish, .32 S&W x 5; black, hard rubber grip panels. Optional for this model: 7x.22 s,l ; 4, 5 or 6" barrels; blued finish; mother-of-pearl or walnut grip panels. It is difficult to grade guns from internet pics - but I'm guessing your's is in about 90%+ - so RETAIL value runs in the $160-$175 range.
    NOTE: As I stated above the serial numbering for this model has intrigued me for a number of years.
    ANYONE that has one of these or comes across one - I would appreciate if you could get the serial number and top barrel rib stamping and provide it to me.Here's a pic of a note I sent to Bill Goforth back in early 2007, included when I was sending research pics to him and we were attempting to make some sense out of variations vs s/n, etc.

IMG_2082.jpg

Here's a pic of my favorite piece of all the ones I have:

IMG_2069_2.jpg

And here's a pic of the one that makes the least sense, a small frame POCKET pistol with a 6" barrel.

IMG_2038_3.jpg
  11. lubelizard

lubelizard New Member

Thanks again.

What about the US Revolver Co piece? It seems to be a waste to let it remain disassembled. A local gun shop owner/associate said his smith could reassemble it and check it for me.
  12. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

lube,
    You're wecome (about the H&R info) - as to the US REVOLVER Co. that was a "hardware/catalogue" brand made by Iver Johnson from circa 1910 - mid 1920's. There are several guys here that have the Bill Goforth Iver Johnson book, I don't, and they should be able to provide more info on that one.
    May I suggest you resubmit the question with a topic heading specific to US REVOLVER?
  13. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Fuzebox40 correctly dated your U. S. revolver early in this thread, and offered to provide a replacement trigger spring.

It's certainly worth repairing and reassembling if the other side is in the 95% condition shown.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  14. lubelizard

lubelizard New Member

I my haste, I didn't read the whole post. Thanks for your offer. I'll photograph all the items in the jar and the revolver disassembled. Perhaps you can tell me if anything is missing.
  15. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

lube.. yes I'd be happy to enventory your parts for you.