Harrington & Richardson Break Open Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by tatedon, Apr 4, 2011.

1. tatedon

tatedon New Member

I have a Harrington & Richardson Break Open Revolver I would love to get information on.

The top of the barrel is marked:
    HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS COMPANY
    WORCESTER, MASS U.S.A. PAT OCT 8 1895

The side of the barrel is marked:
    PREMIER 32 S.&W. CTGE.

The frame and the cylinder are both stamped with serial number 125.

This revolver was passed down from my Great Grandmother to my Grandfather to my Father and now to me. I would appreciate any information about this revolver anyone can supply.
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

tatedon,
    Welcome to the forum.
    You have, obviously, an H&R PREMIER 2nd Model 3rd Varition (from the roll stamp on the barrel rib) which was made between 1909-13. It is capable of handling modern factory loaded .32 S&W (the shorter one) smokeless/Nitro powder loads - IF - in safe condtion to shoot. Standard issue was 3" barrel on a Nickel plated frame. Blued frame was also made, and barrel length ranged from 2" (BICYCLE model), 4, 5 and 6".
    There is a bit of discrepancy with the serial number you posted. By the time this piece was made, the serial number range was in the 150,000 plus range. To see the "real" serial number, you'll need to remove the cylinder and look at the bottom of the top strap - the full serial number will be there.
    It appears that the PREMIER was a fairly popular type - serial numbers run up to at least 570,000 and probably into the 600,000s (having started in their own range at 01 or so).
    As an heirloom piece - the value is inestimable. But in the real RETAIL world - depending upon finish condition and mechanical condition - the "standard" pieces sell between $90 to slightly over $250+ in excellent in the box condition. Blue finish and non-standard barrel lengths add more value.
    pics follow of non-standard 3rd Variation pieces:
    IMG_1988_2.jpg
  3. tatedon

tatedon New Member

Thank you Jim,

It appears I have the 3 inch Blue Finish. It's basically a brown finish now. It spend quite a few years under a mattress and the last time it was fired was probably 40 years ago. You are right. It is a heirloom piece. It is priceless to me. After following your advice and removing the cylinder I found the serial number to be 248125. Is there any way of finding out when it was made and where and when it was purchased. I have a cousin that thinks it was bought as one of a matched pair of pistols by my Great Grandfather.

Thanks again!
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

tatedon,
    With that serial number, you have a 2nd Model 3rd Variation. This variation appears to have been produced between 1909 and 1913 (dates are still a bit sketchy and some cross overs between variations are seen-which is not unusual for H&R firearms of that date.) As pictured above, I have one of these with s/n in the 260K range, along with the one, the s/numbers braket your piece - so, comparing with your s/n, I'd guess your's was made in the mid range of the period, probably 1911 or so.
    There is virtually no easy was to find out when and where it was purchased - there are no known shipping records.
    How does that date fit in with your family's history?
    BTW, you're welcome and thanks for thanking. Glad to help out.

Attached Files: